CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

8th September 2012, 15:17
Hiya Pastille,
Just read your post and thought I should comment on it as I used the same anagram for my clue.

In your clue using 'see disruption as fortuitous'.
If only the letters of 'disruption' are the anagram fodder, then yes, it would have been fair, however, because it's 'see disruption' it leaves the letters 'SEE' unaccounted for. This is the reason I put 'Doctors' for the anagrind in my clue because it wouldn't quite look right and fair to leave the solver guessing.

Usually when using words that make anagrinds themselves from part of the final answer and thus qualify to leave out thus anagrinds, they become &lit clues.
Here is an example:

Hips that can be found on the seabed? (9)

Answer: Shipwreck

Hips is the anagram of 'Ship' and the anagrind is 'wreck' which is part of the final answer, so can be omitted and qualify for an &lit because of its self explanatory solution.
This clue still has the Def 'can be found on the seabed' so really it's a partial &lit, but I did post something this week about &lit clues but forgot which thread it was on.

Hope that kinda made sense, anyone else is free to comment.
1 of 23  -   Report This Post

pastille

8th September 2012, 15:25
So it would have been better to have rephrased it...

See disruption,wrecked but fortuitous .(13)

???
2 of 23  -   Report This Post

les40

8th September 2012, 15:28
Yes pastille, it would be deemed as unfair if without an anagrind here.

It would be interesting to hear others views on this.
3 of 23  -   Report This Post

pastille

8th September 2012, 15:29
Thanks les....learning all the time....x
4 of 23  -   Report This Post

les40

8th September 2012, 15:31
An easy question to ask the other forum members would be,

Would you have a question mark next to this clue if it appeared in a crossword without the anagrind 'wrecked'
I would have to say that I would Pasty.

Sorry sweety
5 of 23  -   Report This Post

emrach

8th September 2012, 16:06

Get the feeling this bloke doesn't like the word anagrind !!!!

'Whoever it was that coined the word should be taken out and shot, revived and shot again for a Sisyphean eternity.'
6 of 23  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

8th September 2012, 17:36
agreed emrach, it's a horrible word but what should we use? Maybe anagrator (anagram indicator)?
Les, you are right in what you say about there needing to be one of those whatd'youcallems in pastille's clue. Pasty, your revised clue would have got my vote if I'd been playing! Les again, please would you clear up something else for me? What does &lit mean? I've seen it lots of times but don't get it.
Thanks, mrs t
7 of 23  -   Report This Post

trevor

8th September 2012, 17:42
try here Mrs. T.
http://www.crosswordunclued.com/2008/08/and-literally-so.html

&lit clues often have a question mark at the end.
i also find the word anagrind very ugly.
8 of 23  -   Report This Post

trevor

8th September 2012, 17:50
anag'ind
9 of 23  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

8th September 2012, 18:07
thanks trevor. I only just realised as I was mowing the lawn that an anagrind is also short for anagram indicator (sorry, bit slow), which presumably means it rhymes with tinned rather than behind, which is what I had always thought. I too was thinking if you take the r out it isn't quite so ugly - and with the apostrophe it might be more obvious what it's short for. But I guess it's all a lot of fuss for a word that does its job.
10 of 23  -   Report This Post