CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

4th September 2012, 17:00
With considerable help from Les-

1. -
2. TRIMESTER ( academic term, 3 months)

neat = trim + ester - orderly (anagrind) of trees

3) A haunting fear is a Spectre - N American spelling is SPECTER

Like Rodin, Landsee(R ETC EPS)tein was .....

Brought up = returned
embracing = containing

4} LARNE as in "That'll larn (learn) yer" where I come from (Birkenhead, shudder). Town in N.I.

5) FLASH IN THE PAN (briefly successful)

hit = lash / in Finland = Fin - F(lash) in / at the time = then / inspired (breathed in thus contained) pop = pa
F(lash) in the (pa)n

21 of 31  -   Report This Post

tony

4th September 2012, 17:01
Don't know what happened to the rest of my post!
2) Trimester
3) Specter
4) Larne
5) Flash in the pan
22 of 31  -   Report This Post

peterm

4th September 2012, 17:04
I've got the same as AB.
23 of 31  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2012, 17:20
Thanks again, Jolan - love "Larne"!
24 of 31  -   Report This Post

jolan

4th September 2012, 17:21
In addition, thanks Tony, Ros, AB and Peterm. Well solved. It looks like I'll never have an 'unsolvable' one again. You experts and too... well... expert. I try to avoid answers to which require looking up (although relievo is not yer common-usage word).

For completion, here is my working:-

1. ‘over’ [retiring] = revo; lie ‘in’ = re(lie)vo = RELIEVO = appearance of relief (Chambers D)
2. neat = trim; + anag(orderly) of ‘trees’; yields TRIMESTER = academic term.
3. “brought up + embracing” (it’s “in” there, backwards) SPECTER (N Am spelling of spectre) = a haunting fear (Chambers Dict)
4. larn = to teach (dialect or facetious) Chambers D; + E = LARNE. It’s in N.I.
5. hit = LASH (lash = hit in Chambers and Oxford Thesauri): Finland = FIN (IVR);
hit in Finland = FLASH IN. at that time = THEN; pop = PA; ‘then’ inspired (took in) ‘pa’ = THE PAN yielding FLASH IN THE PAN = briefly successful (Chambers D).
The comma after Finland breaks the clue into two parts.

Thabks a million for having a go. Hope you enjoyed them. See you next week (hopefully). Off to my 7-courser now.
Bless
John
25 of 31  -   Report This Post

jolan

4th September 2012, 17:21
Thanx Chris. You posted as I typed. J
26 of 31  -   Report This Post

ab

4th September 2012, 17:23
Enjoy your meal, Jolan and thank you again for such brilliant and challenging clues.
27 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

4th September 2012, 17:28
Had to run off for a while. Good ones again, Jolan! You'll perhaps be amused to hear that my first guess for 3 was WINDIGO (a haunting fear of NA), and I wondered whether Rodin and Landseer were winos. Got it eventually.
28 of 31  -   Report This Post

tony

4th September 2012, 17:36
Aristophanes

As a dog lover I was sorry to read your sad news.

T
29 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

4th September 2012, 17:52
Thank you, Tony. He was almost completely blind and deaf (though he could still find his way around- to the aforementioned piano, for example), and I was praying that he'd go on his own. He did.
30 of 31  -   Report This Post