CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smudgy13

1st September 2012, 16:49
Hi folks on the lookout for help again ! always think i gonna get it on my own ,never mind.Stuck on
34a(8) publicity e???s??e.
40a(8) impractical person i???l??t.
10d(4) tibetan monk l??a.
20d(7) flattened oval e?l????.
As usual once i see them the answers will be simple.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

barrycat

1st September 2012, 16:51
Exposure
Idealist
Lama
Ellipse
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

1st September 2012, 16:55
Thanks barrycat just as posted thread got exposure and lama but ellipse a new one on me don't think i ever heard that before , it true when said you learn something new every day ,with me usually how brain dead i get near end of a crossword ;-).
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

barrycat

1st September 2012, 16:56
Hahaha:-)
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

1st September 2012, 16:59
I need to get better dictionary / wordfinder that for sure good luck to you barrycat and thnks again.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st September 2012, 16:59
I don't think I would describe an ellipse as a flattened oval - it's a circle with two "centres" (or focuses)
Is oval an egg-shape?
P.S. you can draw an ellipse by putting two pins in a piece of paper. Put a loop of string around them, then put a pencil inside the string and draw the shape that keeps the string taut all the way round.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st September 2012, 17:03
PPS the closer together you put the pins, the more like a circle you get. Planetary orbits are nearly circular ellipses.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

1st September 2012, 17:07
Chrise rmbr vaguely frm my youth about the pins and drawing but ooh my it so long ago my old brain may be playing tricks ! .As usual with the daily record there is always at least one clue where the answer doesn't match up but ends up being correct when you check the following week so just have to go with it and keep fingers crossed :-/.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

1st September 2012, 17:09
Your brain and knowledge is far superior to mine chrise im happy if i can do sunday mail cryptic crossword in pen not pencil !.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post