CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mary6

27th August 2012, 15:45
I'm struggling with the wordplay on quite a few answers, though they seem to be right (unless I have constructed an entirely new puzzle). Could anyone explain:
18d Prisoner in Bury, born in Toulouse? I have INTERNEE. Was thinking IN T and E from Toulouse NEE born.???
13a One adjusts canvas showing old woman in group including governor. I have MAINSHEET, which I know is a sail on a ship hence canvas, and MA being an old woman but the rest?
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th August 2012, 15:47
INTER is "bury", NEE is "born" in French
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th August 2012, 15:48
MA IN SET with HE for governor (His Excellency)
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th August 2012, 15:49
Technically the mansheet is the rope used to adjust the sail, not the sail itself (there are only two "ropes" on a sailing ship; all the other rope-like things have different names)
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

mary6

27th August 2012, 15:51
I now feel extremely foolish regarding internee and thank you for explaining mainsheet! There are several others - perhaps I'd better have another think before I ask for an explanation. But on the bright side - at leas they were the right answers!
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

mary6

27th August 2012, 16:23
I hesitate to ask, but any explanations for:
57a Tie up rebel leader, arresting start of this procession = MOTORCADE
25a Lecturer touring City with a male doctor, a solid figure = DECAHEDRON
7d Proper motor yacht crossing lake sough of Norwich, say = SEEMLY
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

27th August 2012, 16:52
25a Lecturer touring City with a male doctor, a solid figure = DECAHEDRON
don = lecturer
a he dr = male doctor
ec = city
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th August 2012, 17:00
Norwich is a cathedral city, so its sough is a SEE, then Motor Yacht around Lake
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

paul

27th August 2012, 17:02
Hi Mary; Like you I got answers without parsing fully - 7d could be SEE (bishopric) with MY (motor Yacht) crossing L (lake)
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th August 2012, 17:02
MOOR is "tie up" (a boat); Jack CADE was a revolting peasant, around start of This (I think that was the word)
10 of 12  -   Report This Post