CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

21st August 2012, 17:07
(3 & 4 the other way round, of course: sorry!) gk
11 of 20  -   Report This Post

ixion

21st August 2012, 17:21
Good work Jolan, as usual I spotted the complex anag but missed the palindrome...did you use the allwomen/nomen ploy before?, it seems familiar.
12 of 20  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st August 2012, 17:26
I wasn't about to be caught in one of Jolan's palindrome tricks, but I didn't get the disaster one; all I could think of was go on the ropes. I believe "no men" appeared in phenomenon a while back, ixion.
13 of 20  -   Report This Post

jolan

21st August 2012, 17:27
Hi there! Just arrived home. Thank tou GK (all but one), Tony, Ari, Jazzy (doin' great), Ros and Oxion (Yep! I did use the all men / no women) in a previous offering. Below find my workings:-

1. sail = JIB; E = Spain/Espana (IVR); JIBE = crack
2. anag (organization) of ‘lusting in FBI’ – ‘sinful’ = BITING = cutting
3. pass = GO BY; the = THE; provisions = BOARD; yielding GO BY THE BOARD = to meet disaster (Chambers Dict)
4. PALINDROME
5. Cardinal = HE + all women (? – not necessarily ‘all women’) = NO MEN = HENOMEN; intimate = friend = PAL; in intimate embrace = p(HE + no men)al = PHENOMENAL = very good (Chambers Dict def)

Thanks also, for the kind remarks. They carry great weight, coming from you experts. I really mean that.

Bless for the mo (might glance in later). Off to din-din now

John
14 of 20  -   Report This Post

jolan

21st August 2012, 17:29
.... Ixion!!! It must be my preprandial sipping. LOL
15 of 20  -   Report This Post

tony

21st August 2012, 17:31
A bit late checking in Jolan
1) JIBE - Crack - JIBE (sail) E (Espana/Spain)
2) BITING - Cutting..anag (organisation)LUSTING IN FBI less( out) SINFUL
3) GO BY THE BOARD -Meet disaster...GO BY (pass) THE BOARD (provisions)
4) PALINDROME ..DRAW PUPIL'S LIP UPWARD reads both ways
5) PHENOMENAL - Very good...HE (Cardinal ( NOMEN ( all women)in PAL (intimate)

Regards T
16 of 20  -   Report This Post

tony

21st August 2012, 17:32
Oops - sorry Jolan I crossed with yours
17 of 20  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

21st August 2012, 17:48
Congratulations, tony! I was thinking of the relationship between the two, not the whole thing (the palindrome) --- how silly!
18 of 20  -   Report This Post

andyc

21st August 2012, 19:35
Jolan I was out for most of today so didn't get a chance to have a go. Sorry I missed it, the clues all looked great, I see the old favourite "palindrome" came up again. My grand-daughter is called Hannah...so I should always spot those perhaps! All the best and thank you once again for your efforts.

Andy

Andy
19 of 20  -   Report This Post

jolan

21st August 2012, 21:13
Tony
How often I've been typing a reple only to find someone else has beaten me to the punch. Your explanations are clear and to the point, as usual.
Andy
Hannah! What a lovely (& palindromic) name.
Thanks for your nice contribution.

Hope to see you all next week.

Bon chance and g'night

John
20 of 20  -   Report This Post