CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastille

11th August 2012, 00:16
I will start by saying I was bored stupid by the year long build up...

Then..Danny Boyle opening...I have been so."won over" loving the whole thing...

I, a staunch scot...feel so "British " I love it....

Please discuss....
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

11th August 2012, 00:27
My only regret is that I haven't been able to watch more of it...
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

les40

11th August 2012, 00:33
What I would like to know pastille is, why are we not as good as some other countries? I'll tell you why, we don't give enough support to sporting organisations to get the kids good enough and interested enough at earlier ages. You see these other countries (especially from eastern Europe and Asia) at the top of their game at the age of 15 or 16 in things like gymnastics and diving. I understand that athletes are older in the more strength and endurance disciplines because they have to develop their muscles more.
But we are still busy teaching kids how to run with an egg on a spoon, run fast in the wheelbarrow sprint position and run with your mate with your legs tied together...When are these gonna be olympic events? It would be much more entertaining and have great moments of fun and laughter if they were. I once won a sack race and felt like a champion for ages after, what a great delight that day was, it feels like it was just yesterday... just a minute, it was yesterday, in my neighbours garden with a load of crazy kids and parents.

Discuss
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th August 2012, 00:39
I always say I'm not going to watch, but I always do. A girl from my mother-in-law's little town in Rhode Island won silver and bronze medals in swimming, and one from a nearby town (in our county- in MA) won two gold medals in gymnastics. Yeah, I know- so provincial. :)
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

11th August 2012, 00:43
Les -- I don't know whether you've noticed, but we're third in the medals table behind the USA and China, both of whom have rather larger poulations...
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

11th August 2012, 00:44
*populations* ffs!
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

magpie

11th August 2012, 00:45
That happy-go-lucky soul Morrisey (once of influential indie band The Smiths) has likened the burst of national feeling surrounding the Games as horrible jingoism akin to the Nazis at the Berlin Games. I'm too polite to say what I think about that!
As a staunch Englishman I too feel very British and am just as proud of Hoy as Wiggins etc etc. 3rd in the table is wonderful to behold. It is also making me slightly homesick, but then again Ontario is a lovely place to be and I've just got a ticket to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse, so all is right with the world.
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

11th August 2012, 00:49
magpie, I used to like you. I hope Neil does all those dodgy folk songs (AND God Save The Queen)from the last album and none of the classics!
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

pastille

11th August 2012, 01:05
Ohh I so love persiflage....

Nightynight all...

P@
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

les40

11th August 2012, 01:10
Bullfrog, you should know me by now, I'm having a jolly jape about the whole thing with pastille. I am very happy about the medals we have won, and tomorrow i'll be in Bradley Wiggins territory again as I was the other day when I posted my Saturday Times crossword into a Golden Post box.

I just needed a window of opportunity to mention my sack race win, which I fully took advantage of whilst wrapping it up in the olympics stuff.
10 of 22  -   Report This Post