CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

4th August 2012, 07:16
Plain sailing , this one. At least it taught me a new phrase coined last year!
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

twm

4th August 2012, 11:05
I enjoyed this one, once I had a few toe-holds but I didn't really understand how 1d worked: Accelerated church crawling with sticks (14)

I won't put the full answer lest others are yet to work on it, but I'd be interested to learn how the form of race turns out to be the answer.

It was surprising to learn that the "half century" was that word - I thought the word referred to a far longer period.
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

4th August 2012, 11:35
Presumably the second part of the word is meant by "acc. crawling", the first part by "church", and the whole thing involves doing s'thing over the "sticks" (I took church crawl to be a variant of pub crawl, whether the expression actually exists or not!).Is that clear enough? Can't see how else it can be parsed.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

twm

4th August 2012, 11:46
Ok - thank you very much for that, GK
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

gluttonous gull

4th August 2012, 12:07
4 seconds!My new record.
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

eccles45

4th August 2012, 12:24
I am convinced that Araucaria's puzzles are getting easier. This one was another disappointment, especially for the Saturday prize :-(
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

twm

4th August 2012, 12:40
It was interesting and difficult enough for me!
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

4th August 2012, 15:44
not bad gluttonous gull, but not that good. I can now do it while on my way to the paper shop - I have this knack of visualising the clues. the only tricky bit is that there aren't really enough people in the village that I can tell. I nearly said boast,there, but I'm much too modest to do that.
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th August 2012, 16:06
Re 1dn - I believe that the original event went between the prominent landmarks in different villages, hence the name (trying hard, again, not to give the answer)
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

livs

5th August 2012, 07:39
Finished, but still puzzled by one...

15D VP topped with Polynesian charm and model of composite picture.

I make it 'identikit'. I get:

VP topped = (vice-pres)ident
Polynesian charm = tiki
model = T

but that makes 'identtikit' with 2 t's at centre. ?
10 of 15  -   Report This Post