CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

emrach

29th July 2012, 18:43

Hi All

In the unlikely event I manage to answer - correctly and in time - clue chain, I am looking for the basic rules/advice for clue setting. Thanks
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th July 2012, 19:08
Godd evening, emrach.
If you are asking how to set a clue,here are some pointers:
First pick a word or phrase to clue (I find this the hardest bit)
Th definition should, bu custom, appear at either the beginning or the end of the clue.
Then give an alternative way of working out the answer, using wordplay. The easiest is to give an anagrma (there are lots of site that work them out for you - if you want a laugh, type "anagram" into Google). Remember to give an "anagram indicator" ("anagrind"). I recently found a site that lists hundreds of alternative ways of indicating an anagram).
"Sounds like" can also be fairly easy to do.
Finish with the word count (e.g. (5,2,3))
Good luck for tomorrow!
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th July 2012, 19:09
Apologies for appalling typing - but I think you can probably work out what most words were meant to be.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

emrach

29th July 2012, 19:16
Thanks ChrisE for the advice I know some people don't like ghost anagrams. I didn't know the definition sat better at the beginning or end so that is very helpful - I will try to stick to it. As you say its finding the word/phrase which is the most difficult - I have attempted aat least six so far and changed my mind !! Hope you are well and still golfing and cooking not particularly in that order :)
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

emrach

29th July 2012, 19:17
Nag a ram - does google have a sense of humour !!!
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th July 2012, 19:19
Apparently it does!
Just back from a weekend away, looking for unusual ferns. Quite tired now, but lots of golf and cooking planned for the coming week (we picked up some mutton, which I've never had before. I'm going to "sous vide" it)
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

emrach

29th July 2012, 19:24
Well I hope your not hungry right now !!!!
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th July 2012, 19:26
Daughter has cooked for us tonight - just about to eat.
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

jws

Hi emrach. Just a thought for CLUECHAIN. If in doubt keep it simple. It works better if it moves quickly. Don't be surprised if your simple is difficult for others and vice versa.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

emrach

Aren't daughters wonderful Enjoy:)
10 of 18  -   Report This Post