CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

livs

16th July 2012, 13:29
People here mentioned the Guardian Genius crossword, so I went over to their site and registered - but although I'm on the page for the 2nd July 2012 Araucaria one (109), all I've got is instructions - no crossword grid or clues.

Do they remove the crossword after the deadline or is this a bug?

And when's the next one due?
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

tonyw

16th July 2012, 13:39
It has changed since July 9th.You have to have the latest Java script enabled to view the grid.
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

cmk

16th July 2012, 14:32
livs - re Genius. I have Google Chrome and when I go into the Genius page it tells me my Java is out of date (look along the top of your screen). However - it also gives me two options to either 'update Java' or 'Run this time'. I've never pulled off the update option so far, but if you go for 'Run this time' the crossword appears. Don't know if this helps in your own case, but it's worked for me for a while now.
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

livs

16th July 2012, 18:57
Thanks for your help.

This is SO frustrating! I've just downloaded the latest version of Java, restarted the browser and... still no crossword.

Maybe I need to sign in? I tried that, and the Guardian website tells me I've got the email/password wrong, even though it's the one I used earlier.

So I told it I'd forgotten the password. It says it's sent me an email.... no email.

I have to say that much as I love the Guardian, when I try to interact with its website, it's usually hopeless.

I've just tried again, with variants of the password - all fail. And still no email.

Any advice would be welcome!
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

livs

16th July 2012, 19:17
I've now turned the computer off & on again - still no genius crossword visible.

I can see today's Rufus one. I can interact with it.

I try to sign in - it tells me I'm wrong again. Still no email to let me reset the password.

This really is useless.
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

livs

16th July 2012, 20:14
I've emailed the Guardian website's help team. We'll see what they say. (My old registration didn't work, either, though it used to.)
Still no email...
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

syzygy

17th July 2012, 04:30
I logged into the Guardian Genius page an hour ago & the puzzle wouldn't load. It worked fine July 2, & a few days later when I submitted it.

It might be a problem with Adobe Flash Player, which popped up a new update just now. All is well again & the Genius appears.

Over the last month there was a conflict among Firefox, RealPlayer, & Adobe. This resulted in videos not playing, & blank areas which were probably Java applets, even though I had all the latest versions.

The solution was to uninstall all 3, download current versions, & re-install.

Likely problem is that the updates are arriving so often they get out of sync, and they're not being tested properly before release.

I would recommend creating a restore point before each update. Makes it easier to step back in time to where things DID work.

Control Panel -> System & Maintenance -> Backup & Restore Center -> Create a Restore point.

Hope that helps.

7 of 16  -   Report This Post

livs

17th July 2012, 08:07
Thanks for the advice, Syzygy. It's a relief to know it's not just me.

'It worked fine July 2, & a few days later when I submitted it.' Haha! I love that little aside. Good luck in the competition!
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

syzygy

18th July 2012, 06:58
Hi livs,

I'm afraid I missed the humour in that statement. Please enlighten me. Sometimes I'm a little dense.

No idea what could be causing your log-in problem, but if you can get to the Genius page you must have succeeded. It's the only way to get there.

Re updates: tonight, Firefox has come out with v14 ! As a friend says, "Bloody Nora!".

I'm leery about installing it, in case this whole scenario starts up again. I'll let you know.

Good luck.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

ajt1

18th July 2012, 07:32
My problem with the Genius is that when I access the page the last couple of lines across are missing, and so I can't enter the complete grid.
10 of 16  -   Report This Post