CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

14th July 2012, 14:46
OK - done it. Started 11.30, finished 2.15, so 2 3/4 hours. Entirely out of my own head - no computer games, no Chambers.
No beer, this time.
(Howls, yells , screams and squeals from The Trolls: "hubris"; "up his own arse"; "yawn"; "piss-artist", "stalker" etc etc etc.)
The point I'm trying soewhat fruitlessly to make is simply that a person of decidedly average intelligence - and probably declining due to senile decay - me - can do this puzzle unaided in a reasonable time.
I've no doubt at all that phillip and trevor and many other of the 'info providers' can complete it sitting in the car outside the newsagents.
But equally obviously there are lots of people who find some answers impossible and who come to this site for help - that's presumably what the site is for?
But nobody would answer my perfectly reasonable question a couple of weeks ago:
What is the etiquette?
Presumably if I simply posted up a list of ALL the answers now, I'd be castigated as a crass spoilsport. On the other hand, do I resond generously with answers and wordplay explanations to people who ask for one to three answers, repeatedly - as I've frequently seen done?

Which raises the question: Why on earth would people who can complete this puzzle quickly hang around on this site to rush forward and help lame dogs over stiles? It's a Competition! You don't see the leaders in the Marathon running back and helping weaker competitors across the line. (and they'd be disqualified if they did).
And hang around they do - my last thread was posted at nearly midnight - I then added another note to jazzgirl less than five minutes later; and there were already two snarls posted - the Trolls must have been hovering over their screens in the night, waiting to pounce on anything that moved.

Well, interesting to see what comes back now: -
1 of 50  -   Report This Post

saki

14th July 2012, 14:54
How many letters?
2 of 50  -   Report This Post

judy

14th July 2012, 14:55
I viewed your sarcastic note with interest. Did know about your typing error?
3 of 50  -   Report This Post

mamya

14th July 2012, 14:55
Oh do be quiet!
4 of 50  -   Report This Post

barrycat

14th July 2012, 15:41
You on the booze?
5 of 50  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th July 2012, 15:57
Q
I'll probably be castigated for giving a serious answer, but who cares!
OK, you're 72 and can complete without any kind of aid. I cannot claim that; I often use google, quick solve, anagram solver and am not ashamed to say so. I am still a learner.
Yes, some people find some answers impossible and come to this site for help.
Some ask for an answer, others ask for a hint . There are some brainy people on here who are willing to give either and they do so, out of altruism and some like to show off a bit !
If you simply posted all the answers to one crossword, you would be thrown off the site. That is a No No.
A lot of people "hang around" on this site (as you phrase it) because they enjoy being here. One or two are house-bound and it gives them pleasure to be on here. Personally, I check-in here maybe 3 times a day. Sometimes, people want to chat (like you and your jazz etc.) others just want pure crossword problems. Some nightowls cannot sleep , unlike me as I am up with the lark.
Now you can choose - you can either go and enjoy your music and your gregarious life-style or keep checking in here and get frustrated. I think the former is for you.
Enjoy your music.
J
6 of 50  -   Report This Post

francis

14th July 2012, 16:22
Brava !
7 of 50  -   Report This Post

rosalind

14th July 2012, 16:25
Very well said, Jazzgirl
8 of 50  -   Report This Post

rosalind

14th July 2012, 16:27
Oh, and LOL, Saki
9 of 50  -   Report This Post

julianandsandy

14th July 2012, 16:34
Quixote's just winding us up, aren't you dear?
10 of 50  -   Report This Post