CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

magworth

13th July 2012, 09:04
Re your link - I`m a gran and I have a buttonbox! I can often supply friends with a set of buttons as I never throw a garment away without cutting the buttons off! Mags.
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

rosalind

13th July 2012, 12:23
Wish I'd kept my button box! Need it now. But do you really throw away garments? This morning 2 of those plastic bags to put then in for charity came through the letterbox before 9.30 am!Part of me wants to keep the buttons and part thinks I should be recycling the clothes.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th July 2012, 12:51
Watch those bags. Some of them come from businesses and it doesn't all go to charity. I prefer to use charity shops.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

13th July 2012, 13:03
hi girls
Only just checking in as I've been out in the sun all morning.
I gave my button tin away last year to a friend who is more into sewing and crafts than I am. Mine was started around 1910 by one of my ancestors, then added to by other members of the family. I did sew some sets onto card and gave them to charity shops and they sold like hot cakes.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

magworth

13th July 2012, 14:54
I only throw then away when they`re too far gone for charity! Then I put them in a `textiles` box near the bottle bank. As for the bags - never use them if they say `no bric-a-brac or books etc`. As Jazzgirl says - it`s all a con. They are sold. Mags.
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

magworth

13th July 2012, 14:55
PS Jazzgirl I had a friend who had a very lucrative hobby selling buttons. many went to America. M.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

redcoral

13th July 2012, 16:21
I get alot of fun reading some of these chats!
They don't give me help with the clues that I'm meant to be solving, but they make me smile.
I have 2 button boxes one has only white ones & very old pearl buttons etc & the other has lots of different colours sizes & shapes.They were originally from my grandmother pre-war!
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th July 2012, 16:30
Henry Livings did a monologue (well he did lots) about eating the contents of a button tin for a bet. Wonder if it's available online - might be too old.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th July 2012, 16:53
Can't find it, but I did find (on Spotify) the one called "Our Harold" about smoking """pot""" for a project.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

rosalind

13th July 2012, 20:02
Inspired by this thread I thought "Why not eBay"? so I just bought what are said to be hundreds of old and new buttons. Last time I needed 5 for a project had to buy 8 and they were about a third of the price of all these.Cheers.
Ps Don't think I'll eat them
10 of 12  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Jazzgirl