CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

8th July 2012, 23:56
Completed it, without help;11.45 Sunday night.
Ran a course for 8 people this weekend as well,entertaining 2 of 'em as B&B guests.
And yes, we did drink quite a lot of beer.
(predictable cries of "hubris"; "up his own arse"; "drunk"; "impersonator of jazzgirl")

1 of 15  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

9th July 2012, 00:00
You left out "Yawn"...
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

tonyw

9th July 2012, 00:01
I thought that you did not even have the time to look at this site;Let alone make a stupid comment like that.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

quixote

9th July 2012, 00:02
jazzgirl - what do you play? I've been doing sousa since 1958 - always trad cos I never learned to read - starting with a residency at Eel Pie Island, whence we were displaced by an upstart bunch we'd never heard of and we estimated three weeks to oblivion - called the Rolling Stones - wot a ridiculous name for a band!
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th July 2012, 08:10
Q - Did you play sousa at L'Auberge? If not, I bet you know the fellow who did, or are you actually him in disguise? You really are an old Hippie aren't you!
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

quixote

10th July 2012, 23:03
I used to hang out at L'Auberge (or 'the Low Buggery) the coffee bar opposite Richmond Bridge in the late '50s - chatting-up girls, but never played there - there wasn't room for music - and in those days I played a straight tuba. Are you that vintage? -I'm 72.
In '59 i joined my old mate Alan Cresswell's band The Riverside Jazzmen and we extablished the Sunday night sessions at Eel Pie Island - we built up from zero to 1500 kids jiving to our music- I left to go to Uni, but used to come back and sit in, and that's how I was there the night they told us we were not what the kids wanted any more, and that these unknown rock'n'rollers, the Rolling Stones (WHO??), were taking over our gig.
I did go on to be in the band that won on Opportunity Knocks, and the Riversiders recently reformed (well, some of us) and did some great gigs and made a CD, 50 years on.
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

quixote

10th July 2012, 23:11
jazzgirl - were you at Richmond County (both my wives were) or Whitton? Whenabouts - if it's not rude to ask your age?

Q
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

phillip

10th July 2012, 23:12
Hi Quixote, you're right,crosswords aren't much of a challenge for egotistical loons like what some of us are. so I've been teaching my cat to do them. in only a few days he has grasped some of the essentials, for instance he can get homophone type clues. like this one..........

sounds like the compiler has hurt himself. (5).

can you solve it.
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

syzygy

11th July 2012, 06:43
At the apartment we Americans await with bated breath (5)

9 of 15  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

11th July 2012, 12:25
phillip, is that the best your cat can do?
I'm teaching my dog to read Russian, but he's very slow ...he's only half way through War and Peace.
Quixote You should know better than to ask a lady her age. Anyway, I only moved to your area in '78, but my husband was already living & working in LBR . He played Tuba for several bands. I've not been near E.P.I. for a few years. We used to walk our dog along the towpath there.
Go and take up Les40's challenge !
10 of 15  -   Report This Post