CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

uncle_w

2nd July 2012, 23:35
Cannot determine which clue that uses only amendment letters plus one extra. I have the following amendment letters:
A C D E F G I L N O P R S T
Are these correct or not?
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

redmare

3rd July 2012, 21:35
I have the same as you. I think I have identified the two definitions in the clue in question, both of which could produce the entry, but haven't yet worked out how this means only one extra letter.
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

redmare

3rd July 2012, 23:08
The clue itself should be the only one you haven't solved. Still puzzling over how it has an ambiguity in it.
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

redmare

4th July 2012, 16:40
I have worked it out now, but it took me ages to check off all the letters and their frequency! Think I finally understand it, so if you need a hint, let me know.
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

brivet

4th July 2012, 21:54
redmare - I must admit to not being able to make head nor tail of the end - I have 3 ambiguous answers (think I know the One clue and its 2 answers) but am completely flummoxed trying to resolve the amendment letters to produce a unique outcome. any help gratefully received
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

4th July 2012, 22:36
After careful study of all amendments I still cannot find that elusive clue which is a letter mixture plus one extra letter. I must have a mistake somewhere!
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

5th July 2012, 15:23
The only two entries which are doubtful appear to be 20d and 32d.Is the ambiguity in one of these may I ask?
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

brivet

5th July 2012, 19:09
uncle_w I don't think so they are the 2 entries that can only be solved completely once the preamble is deciphered. I've been thinking 10dn but can't make sense of it all
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

redmare

6th July 2012, 09:51
You are right about the two clues where there is an ambiguity about which letter to add. I would suggest that you take a close look at 28 across and ask yourself if you've really solved it. It might help to use the names index in previous editions of Chambers.

I also suggest making a full list of the number of times you've used each letter in the two types of amendments, and see if that gives you any ideas.

Hope this helps a bit.
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

redmare

6th July 2012, 09:57
In response to brivet's point about 10d, I had convinced myself that this was the clue with the letter mix, only to realise it wasn't. The first word is the definition - look up the meaning of 'occulting' and remember that there is either an additional letter in the clue or one to be added. You should hopefully know from the others which letter this is.
10 of 13  -   Report This Post