CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

30th June 2012, 21:21
Hiya Chris,

I'm back on mate, Yipee!
It was something quite easy in the end but if you don't know, you just don't know, and I didn't know. Just had a friend round who sussed it in 30 seconds (and ha calls me a geek).

So here goes if you still can't get it on your home PC.

Switch on your machine
Click on your internet
Before putting anything in google (or whichever search engine)
Click on 'Tools' in the top left corner of screen menu

From the drop down menu Click on 'Add ons'
Click to disable the AVG TOOLBAR.

This doesn't affect your AVG security set up. Apparently AVG's own Toolbar can be temperamental with certain unsure sites. When it makes updates, it asks if you want the Toolbar, and if you happen to think OK and click Yes, then it automatically comes on from then on everytime you switch on your machine
Give it a spin and let me know if it works for you too. If it doesn't, call a magician

Les40
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

syzygy

30th June 2012, 21:50
Good call. I disable, or avoid loading extra tool-bars because they're clutter & usually have duplicate functions, so didn't have the problem.

Hope everyone's up & running again.
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

les40

30th June 2012, 22:07
Yeh, me too usually Syzzie, but I must have been subjected to some esoteric form of inveiglement by the AVG updaters.

How ya doing on the Joint Effort pal?
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th June 2012, 22:10
Thanks for that, les - unfortunately I still need the magician
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

rosalind

30th June 2012, 22:14
Hi Les
I can't see an "add-on" drop down but I did see "prevent websites from showing pop-ups" which I speedily enabled.
If that works, it'll be marvellous
Oh, and at one time I was a magician. Or, rather, my sons were and I trained them.
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

les40

Talking of magician's, I bought my nephew a David Blaine figure for his birthday from Toys'R'us.
Had to take it back after a few days... we couldn't get it out of the box!
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

Got it now - not quite as simple as you suggested - hope I haven't turned off something vital!
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

les40

30th June 2012, 22:23
You are back on though?
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th June 2012, 22:31
Yes, thanks, Les. My IE had "Manage Addons" and I had to disable AVG in two different places -as I said, I hope I haven't disabled too much!
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

les40

30th June 2012, 22:56
You could check in your control panel. but usually, it will alert you if there is no security active, and will give you the option of switching back on (but watch for the toolbar option)
10 of 19  -   Report This Post