CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jaycee

27th September 2009, 23:08
Beatiful spirit of Greek mythology N-M-N
and
Suffocatinf subsance following an explosion in a mine A-T-R-A-P
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

sarumite

27th September 2009, 23:14
Afterdamp
Nymph?
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

coline

27th September 2009, 23:15
I believe the greek beauty is a NYMPH
Colin
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

jaycee

27th September 2009, 23:17
Thank you Samurite.
But I don't think it is nymph as that is already an answer to another clue and I am sure the final letter is N as it fits in with tambourine
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

jimc

27th September 2009, 23:53
I believe the answer is numen.

JimC
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

jaycee

28th September 2009, 17:37
thank you Jim
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

sarumite

28th September 2009, 17:43
Yes Jaycee, I did toy with NUMEN last evening, but the only definition I was able to find was "A presiding deity or spirit (esp. in ancient Roman religion).
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

terry

28th September 2009, 18:50
Agree with Sarumite. Specifically Roman,no mention of Greek mythology. No mention of beauty either,also "inhabits" everyday objects as well as places.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

jimc

28th September 2009, 19:14
Hi.

I agree that nymph would be a better answer to this clue but, since it had been explicitly discounted and didn't fit the given letters N?M?N, I thought that numen was a possibility worth mentioning.

Numen is mainly (but not exclusively) associated with Roman - not Greek - mythology & culture but that could just be explained by a poor clue.

Etymology for numen is given as: Latin, nod, divine will, numen; akin to Latin 'nutare' to nod, Greek 'neuein', so the Greeks certainly aren't out of the picture.

I wonder where the clue comes from? Is the same answer permitted for two clues?

If Jaycee could let us know and also give us the clue and crossing letters that led to the earlier ('other') answer nymph it might make things clearer.

BW
JimC
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

terry

28th September 2009, 19:44
Jim C,
On the information provided by Jaycee I do not doubt that the answer is NUMEN. But, numen has very little if anything to do with the clue. As you say,it is probably just another example of a poor clue.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post