CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastille

30th June 2012, 00:27
Hello all...

Thought it was about time we had a bit of a "chat"!

Bobs mum and other newish to this site may not be aware but a certain few of us like to go "off piste" now and again.

There will be some purists who will take offence....will I name them?

Mmm maybe later...you will recognise them, because instead of ignoring this thread they will be compelled to comment...

Anyway, I would love to hear how Wendys Norwegian cats are coming along.

A chat about Robbie with bobs mum and general nonsense...

Pipe smoker please give us a topic for a top 10.

I could bore you stupid with my latest war against slugs...very reminiscent of ramblers mole problem.

How's that going by the way?

Re the slugs...I feel as if I am turning into a mini Torquemada...give me a torch,a carpet knife and a will to kill...they will suffer the death of a thousand cuts.

Sweet dreams all

P@ x
1 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

30th June 2012, 07:38
eeee, you chop up the slugs? Doesn't beer work for you? Prefer pellets myself (ducks to avoid missiles).
Soon I shall be waging war against wasps, which eat my figs (and plums but there are none to worry about this year). I sling a couple of jam jars in the fog tree, baited with jam and quarter filled with water. Getting rid of the resulting mess isn't pretty but it works. There's something very -er- decadent- about lounging round doing the JE, reaching up every so often for a soft, squelchy fig...
2 of 35  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

30th June 2012, 09:14
Morning pastille et al, hope everyone's haveing a fair weekend. Crossword-wise I'm struggling with today's Guardian. But as this thread isn't about crosswords I'd love to hear of any deterrents for slugs as apparently my dogs might eat them and catch lungworm (which I believe has been invented by vets to make me buy yet another medication at a grossly inflated price. But what do I know?)It's like the dentists invented flossing - that never existed when I was a child. Any others?
3 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

30th June 2012, 09:33
Hi Mrs T
I use dry holly leaves and copper to deter slugs, but that wouldn't help your dog.
I have read that slugs love beer in a jam jar (about half full) sunk into the ground, or on saucer but your dog could still eat them then.
After falling in they suddenly don't like beer at all! Goodness me, that from a zoologist who once had "try to avoid anthropomorphism" on her work!
If you did a blitz with lots of jars, you might reduce the slug population for a while.
Roz
4 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

30th June 2012, 09:36
And, of course, I did mean fig tree earlier.
Just discovered "Father and Son" (Gosse)
5 of 35  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

30th June 2012, 09:56
Good morning all,

Hi Pastille, yes we were going to natter about Robbie. Were u at Knebworth, what a concert! I was about half way back to one side luckily near a big screen as he was just a dot on the stage. My long suffering husband was with me and a friend but even he got caught up in the atmosphere of it all. The only thing i did not like was trying to get out of the grounds. The concert finished about 10ish and we were still jammed in the car park at four in the morning. Got home about 6 what a nightmare -- still it was worth it. Were did u see him?

Mrs trellis, how's the dog training? What breed is he?
6 of 35  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

30th June 2012, 11:34
Thanks Rosalind, all good advice but as you imply, my dogs would probably drink the beer, slugs included. I over-anthropomorphise too - my life became so much easier once I stopped anthropomorphising my ex-husband.
Hi bob's mum - assuming you're talking about Robbie W I saw him too, at Cardiff and Knebworth. We partied in the car-park field instead of trying to get out afterwards.
In response to your enquiry I have a lurcher, a collie-cross and an 11-week cockerpoo.
7 of 35  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

30th June 2012, 11:35
And the training's going.......interestingly, but as yet he hasn't electrocuted himself ;-)
8 of 35  -   Report This Post

paul

30th June 2012, 11:58
Pasty - in response to your first post - does it matter if some people get "piste off"?
9 of 35  -   Report This Post

ariel

30th June 2012, 13:51
Interesting ideas about slugs. My problem is snails. I've tried a slug and snail killer you add to the water but it hasn't worked. Any ideas? I like the idea of "off piste".
10 of 35  -   Report This Post