CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mary6

26th June 2012, 18:46
Hi all, I'm quite new to these puzzles & although have got some of the answers I really don't understand why - if anyone would be kind enough to explain I'd be very grateful:
2d I get that gregarious means 'tending to flock', but what is 'reverse current trend in beef' all about?
11d I know that Maupassant is a novelist mainly famous for his short stories, but I just don't understand the bit about 'graduate at university before success with a book collection.'
31d I've put in 'assuming' but have no idea why. Is it right? And what on earth has it got to do with 'If and when to spill the beans restraining doubtful statement.' ?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

26th June 2012, 18:59
ma = master of arts (graduate)
u = university
pass = success
a = a
nt = new testament (book)

if = assuming

as = when
sing = spill the beans (like grass,nark,etc)
sing surrounds UM (doubtful)
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

26th June 2012, 19:02
have you given the whole clue for the other one. sounds like there shouls a "sounds like" indicator.

i = current (it just does)
rage = trend, reverse = egari
grous(e) sounds like beef. this is the bit where there might be another word in clue.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 19:07
Mary: 2D GREGARIOUS
'reverse current trend' is RAGE backwards
(eg 'all the rage')EGAR
'in' is in, and als I (*I think)
'beef' to complain - so GROUSE - only 'mostly' so withour last letter E

GR[EGAR][I]OUS

* the 'I' is a bit cheeky, if you ask me.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 19:09
Ah yes - capital 'I' is the symbol for current in electrical formule - so reverse current trend is EGAR I
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 19:13
I got in big trouble with 31D too.
'If' is the definition of ASSUMING. 'when' is AS, to 'Spill the beans' is to SING (confess), 'doubtful statement' is UM (not quite sure why 'Um' is a statement, but there you are.....
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

mary6

26th June 2012, 19:39
Many thanks to all - I would never have got to the answers simply from the clues. It seems I have much to learn.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 20:00
Let your imagination run riot - nothing is what it seems - you seem to have done OK though, to get where you had to ask Why?
8 of 8  -   Report This Post