CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

26th June 2012, 15:37
Just cannot understand 31D [If and when to spill the beans, restraining doubtful statement] - if it's A-S-M-N-
only two words work - both have a 'doubtful'? hesitation in the middle - but Ah cain't see no beans.....nor no statement...
Any hints please?
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th June 2012, 15:40
spill the beans - sing (inform on)
'um' is a hesitation.
don't see where the 1st A comes from, assuming it's assuming.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th June 2012, 15:42
...'um' is a doubtful statement. ie it's used while talking.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th June 2012, 15:43
'when' must give the 'as' at the start.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

26th June 2012, 15:44
def is "if". so when is "as" + s(um)ing.

trevor,if you read quixote's earlier post you may not be so keen to help him in future.
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th June 2012, 15:45
um, very cryptic berkspotter,shall have a look!
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

26th June 2012, 15:53
brakendale gave quixote a hugely obvious clue to the answer. if he can't get it even after such a clunking clue what chance has he got of ever winning anything to do with crosswords. let's face it he just can't cut it. do we really want to be associated with certain failure.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th June 2012, 15:55
you're right Berkspotter.
perhaps Quixote should copy/paste his original comment with every request so that people won't give offence by answering.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 16:14
Ow! -I was only being open and ingenuous - and now all you rotters are picking on me - Yarroo! I can see I'll have to descend to your level to be one of the gang.

berkspotter - are you Mr Potter who lives in Berkshire? (NOT Harry???!!! - Wow!!!) - or a looker-out for the eponymous (but this is so Corny) Hunt?
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th June 2012, 16:19
sorry Quixote,
you're far too late with your 1st crack and the corny one doesn't work with only 1 S.
welcome to our level tho.
10 of 14  -   Report This Post