CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paul

26th June 2012, 13:24
Stuck on an obvious one;

14a. Advantage in iron pulley (5)

I have F???E (iron) but am missing the rest!

1 of 29  -   Report This Post

mamya

26th June 2012, 13:25
Fusee
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

mamya

26th June 2012, 13:26
Use in FE (iron)
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

paul

26th June 2012, 13:29
Thanks Mamya - was unlikely to get that!
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

26th June 2012, 13:29
I don't think that's "obvious". when was the last time someone down your local pub mentioned the spring/cone pulley thing in their watch,eh!
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

paul

26th June 2012, 13:36
Time gentlemen please?
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

kangxi

28th June 2012, 13:55
I think this is a dismal clue/answer. I can't easily see how use = advantage although they're sort of associated.
And Berkspotter is right to query Fusee. Besides being extremely obscure (imho), in my Chambers it's not even defined as a pulley but as a spindle on which the chain is wound.
* Pulley = (pulley) wheel (or spindle) + rope or chain.
* Fusee = spindle. The chain is something else, not a part of it.
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th June 2012, 15:39
A fusee is a device to maintain a constant pull in a watch or clock as the spring expands; hence its conical shape. It is, in effect, acting as a pulley, but I wouldn't have given that as the definition.
8 of 29  -   Report This Post

quixote

28th June 2012, 19:25
What are you guys whining about? So it's idiosyncratic (set by a real - if anonymous - human brain) - and it's DIFFICULT - so it ******* should be! Why would I waste my time on it if it wasn't?

It's (The X-word) the most appalling timewaster you could conceive of, yet it's facinating because it poses a real challenge requiring real thought- a duel between me - or you - and the setter.
Why would anyone want all the clues to be easy and explained by other people?

(unless they're rank beginners like Mary6 claims to be, and need trainiing in the funny ways of setters).

Grumpy old bugger (7)

Why anyone would
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

pastille

28th June 2012, 19:29
grumpty old bugger...is it Phillip?
10 of 29  -   Report This Post