CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

26th June 2012, 09:30
I'm a newbie round here and I'd like to get a handle on the etiquette - if such exists.
I'm very competitive, and I'm assuming (985 31D?) that the people who offer explicit answers are those who've already won and who don't need yet another identical set of Times books.
And that until I win, I'm not obliged to offer answers,though I can ask all the questions I like.
As this is cheating, and I do this for a sense of unaided intellectual achievement, I intend to keep my questions to the absolute minimum - only when I'm totally baffled and the deadline is looming.
If and when (985 31D) I win, I'll answer others' questions, but only with cryptic hints, not just answers.
Will this do? (Sorry for the implied criticism of those who DO give explicit answers).
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

26th June 2012, 09:43
we need the clue to be able to help - not everyone has the paper
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

rosalind

26th June 2012, 09:44
Most people help others out of the kindness of their hearts, not even considering that by doing so they may, very slightly, reduce their own chances of winning. That is, if they send them in at all.
My grandfather posted off the correct, completed Times Crossword for decades until he died aged 90. He never won.
Perhaps help others if you can before you win?
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 10:32
Rosalind - I rather thought that was it - trouble is, I do LOVE to win! But you're right - altruism rools OK.
I guess one makes up one's own rules - I think it would be good for everyone's mental hygiene if answers were hinted at rather than given straight - I've noticed that several subscribers to this forum do this - it adds a slightly simpler level to the solving process - I like that.
Explanations of the wordplay, which are often enlightening (like that SHRAPNEL) can be done without actually blurtingout the answer.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 10:39
And I also do the Times Listener(also published on saturdays) - that is, when i can even understand the theme - there have been ones with a completely blank white palying area - and it's noticeable that very few of that ones devotees post answers or even hints on this forum. Too competitive.
Few enough people do the Listener for them to publish everyone's scores annually. a handful of people submit a solution every week - about 2 or 3 of these get every one ight! I think they're all at Bletchley Park.
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

brackendale

26th June 2012, 10:50
For those who don't have the newspaper the clue being questioned (31 Down of Times Jumbo 985)it is:

If and when to spill the beans,restraining doubtful statement? (8)

I have the solution but do not wish to divulge it in the light of what has been said already!
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

rosalind

26th June 2012, 11:37
I believe The Listener has its own forum somewhere, but only for discussion, not answers.The only ones of those I do (except for a recent one based on cake! which is my specialty)are the ones based on numbers, if I can understand the instructions.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

26th June 2012, 11:53
Quixote, I love the thinking, to quote you.......

"As this is cheating, and I do this for a sense of unaided intellectual achievement, I intend to keep my questions to the absolute minimum".

in other words- I only intend to cheat a little bit, just enough to make the difference between winning and losing.

nice to see the Corinthian spirit is not completely dead. good luck.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

quixote

26th June 2012, 12:46
BrAckendale: Hah! hoist with one's own petard (8)

berkspotter: Yes - the flesh is weak - but it takes one to spot one.......
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

26th June 2012, 13:05
I suppose that if you dropped a fifty pound note in the street you wouldn't bother going to the local cop-shop because you would assume that the finder would do what you undoubtedly would - pocket it. always unwise to assume that people are like you, you know.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post