CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redmare

26th June 2012, 07:51
Really tough clues in this one:

Robots quit units that set down moonwalkers (6)

I think the answer contains EOS but it's entered as a jumble.

Woopies see hint of levity in Grable's shanks? (5)

Any hints appreciated.
1 of 27  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

26th June 2012, 08:47
I've just googled woopies. could be short for well off older people?? Maybe a word for levity shortened on G E the shanks/sides of Grable,s

Apollo set down moonwalkers ?? but can't see why

Yr right it's tough
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

chrisg

26th June 2012, 09:24
The robot one is Golems (robots). quit = go + lems (lunar excursion modules)
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

redmare

26th June 2012, 12:20
Thanks, both. I thought 'hint of levity' simply indicated 'L' but hadn't considered GE for Grable's shanks. Will keep working on it...
4 of 27  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

26th June 2012, 12:50
I too struggled with the woopies clue - until I spotted this thread. The shanks suggestion is correct but it isn't just GE I suspect and the hint of levity isn't necessarily an L as I had previously supposed. A major PDM!
5 of 27  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

26th June 2012, 14:08
OMG. Sorry redmare, may have led you astray there, I've realised (as I couldn't get the jumblies to fit) that there is another answer where L is the hint of levity. Who'd have thought there could be two words loosely synonymous with woopies starting and ending with the same letters?! This Listener is a real slog!
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

redmare

26th June 2012, 19:19
I've been straining my brain for a while trying to come up with any such synonym! The only other clue I need is 20d, which would help with some of the jumbles, though I suspect the final stage of this puzzle is likely to be far beyond me anyhow!
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

redmare

26th June 2012, 20:22
Think I have it now but still struggling with 20d, mainly because I can't be sure of the misprint. Clue is:

Still developing cold in cooler area, temperature stops. (8)

But one of the letters is replaced by H - I suspect it's 'hold' instead of cold, but could be 'shill'. I take it you have that one, SPugh?
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

pastille

26th June 2012, 20:28
Chances are I am well off the mark here...but Grables shanks makes me think of Betty Grables...with the bestest legs in Hollywood.

Just a thought...

9 of 27  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

27th June 2012, 09:48
I took a while to get both 29d & 20d. The woopies one I initially thought might be greys (ie old people), being the y from levity surrounded by the 'shanks' of Grables ie gr es. Once you get it though it should be clear as the BRB actually defines the correct answer as a class of woopie!

As for 20d I kicked myself when I got it - you're on the right track with suspected misprint, can't say much more without giving it away other than maybe suggest thinking of cooler in all of it's contexts.

Now have full set of clues but hopelessly lost with the final process!
10 of 27  -   Report This Post