CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sudokulover

23rd June 2012, 11:37
and spaces at the bottom ... L A N G U A G E
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

chelle

23rd June 2012, 11:46
boATMan essentially =ATM so PIN
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

23rd June 2012, 11:52
chrisE & chelle have it! Well done!
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd June 2012, 11:56
A friend I've just shown it to suggests that you need a PIN on a rowlock to fit the oar onto.
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

23rd June 2012, 11:59
The business with the oar occurred to me at the beginning, but I find the ATM version more convincing! Congratulations! Unfortunately my doubts are not at an end: in my opinion either PIN or PUN wd now be justifiable, depending which way round you u'stand the clue. Any further opinions?
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

barryjbutler

23rd June 2012, 17:32
Re The Boatman issue I think the answer must be PUN because "wordplay" is otherwise redundant. As a matter of interest what "Boatman essentially" wants, ie doesn't have, is the letter "u" anywhere inside. So if a boatman needs a pin a change of heart could, in a convoluted way, lead to PUN.
This clue seems a bit unsatisfactory all round I think!
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

23rd June 2012, 17:46
in the meantime I'm convinced it's definitely PUN:the word "from" decides it, if you look v. carefully at the clue --- what the Boatman needs essentially = ATM needs PIN, then "change of heart". Thanks to all who took the trouble, just for one letter --- then I missed the post here, so no hope of my entry reaching B. on time ---that's the way the cookie crumbles!!!
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd June 2012, 17:52
I agree, greedykite; it implies change FROM what the boatman requires - therefore from PIN to PUN, def. wordplay.
Unfortunately I imagine a lot of solvers will be baffled and just write in PUN for "wordplay".
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

tr4ukl

24th June 2012, 13:14
It's worth noting for newcomers that Boatman is a Guardian crossword compiler (see 25590 for example) hence the capital B. 19A must surely be PUN. Clue seems rather tortuous, but less so than 13A.

(Desert = definition, rat returning = tar = AB (Able Seaman), A, North Dakota = ND, 9 after vacation = OPERATION with inner letters removed = ON.)
29 of 29  -   Report This Post