CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

julia

26th September 2009, 00:22
I need help with the last one, 16d Rattle prone to include piece of early Strauss? I have O-E-E-. OPENER? If so, Why?
Also does anyone understand the instruction "this should be shaded".
Many thanks in advance.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

aljanon

26th September 2009, 00:30
Rattle prone to include piece of early Strauss?

'Rattle prone' indicates an anagram of prone
including piece of early (in this case 'e').
Andrew Strauss = English cricket opener
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

julia

26th September 2009, 00:46
Goodness! Don't you people ever sleep? I thought I was the only one who stayed up half the night fiddling with the computer. Many thanks. As I have never heard of Andrew Strauss (sorry, cricket lovers), I would never have got that. I was looking for obscure operas by Richard S.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

arthur

26th September 2009, 13:43
Thanks for the explanation of 16 down. It beat me too despite my folowing cricket.

I think "this should be shaded" means that if you are sending in an entry you have to shade the three relevant squres in 26 across.

8 across is presumably CHAP or WHIP but I can't see how the clue leads to either of these. Please help.

4 of 9  -   Report This Post

helena

26th September 2009, 13:47
artur
can you please give us the clue and any letter you may have as i do not have this crossword
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

arthur

26th September 2009, 14:01
Thanks,Helena. The clue is "Fellow who's a winner,leaving millions (4)". The second letter is H and the fourth letter is P.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

26th September 2009, 14:05
Fellow who's a winner,leaving millions

Take the M (for millions) out of CHAMP (winner) and you're left with CHAP...
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

arthur

26th September 2009, 14:24
Thanks, Bullfrog. And thanks to Helena too.

Now I can go and play golf.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

julia

26th September 2009, 15:15
Thanks for the shaded explanation, Arthur. that's how I had read it although I usually e-mail my entry in.

9 of 9  -   Report This Post