CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rambler

12th June 2012, 10:02
Thanks, Rusty.
31 of 86  -   Report This Post

phillip

12th June 2012, 11:34
rambler, sorry to hear about your mole problem. the "little gentleman in velvet" is a serious pain in the ass if you appreciate a nice garden.

I've had them in the past. I got got rid of them ( ok, killed them) using tunnel traps. these are much easier to set than scissor traps and a damn sight more efficient when it comes to putting mole out of ones misery. I drowned one once, using a power washer, but you'd have to be there all day to win the war like that. tunnel traps are the weapon of choice.
32 of 86  -   Report This Post

rambler

12th June 2012, 11:57
Cheers, phillip. You know when you see demos of how to use tunnel traps they can see the run and remove the top layer of soil to reveal the tunnel? Our soil is very light (which is why they love it) and you can't see the run because they are at least 6" down. Do you think I could insert a tunnel trap from the site of the molehill?
33 of 86  -   Report This Post

pastille

12th June 2012, 12:09
@rambler...maybe you could send them an invitation to Toad Hall?
34 of 86  -   Report This Post

phillip

12th June 2012, 12:15
I think you definitely need to set the trap/s in a tunnel. (the clue is in the name-tunnel trap, lol). they (moles) run up and down the tunnels eating whatever insects/worms fall in. if they are in the lawn, use a spade to take out what amounts to an extra large piece of turf. you can do this surprizingly neatly.

if you want inspiration watch "Caddyshack" starring Bill Murray as a golf club greenkeeper waging an ever escalating war on a gopher ( a sort of super mole).
35 of 86  -   Report This Post

rambler

12th June 2012, 12:21
Thanks, phillip - when I try to find the run by probing the run is so deep and the soil so light I can't find it. I've done more damage trying to find the run than the mole caused! Thanks for the advice; if I can see a run I'll set a tunnel trap.
36 of 86  -   Report This Post

pastille

12th June 2012, 12:57
You have probably seen this....but

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Moles-in-Your-Lawn
37 of 86  -   Report This Post

phillip

12th June 2012, 13:13
that website is a load of rubbish. I quote......

shovel method, step 7; hit mole with hammer.
step 8; pick up mole gently.

WTF.
38 of 86  -   Report This Post

rambler

12th June 2012, 13:13
Thanks, pastille. It's true that I have researched a good deal about moles but a new angle is always welcome. A lot of the trapping methods depend upon knowing the direction of travel and you will see from the discussion with phillip I get hills randomly with no sign of the run.
39 of 86  -   Report This Post

rambler

12th June 2012, 13:20
The keen sense of smell myth gets me. Latest research says they have a very poor sense of smell yet 'experts' say you must handle traps with gloves. If a pint of week-old piss poured on their head wont shift em they can't smell much.
40 of 86  -   Report This Post