CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

9th June 2012, 14:47
Have you ever heard this? "Blues in the Night" will blow your socks off.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Gotta-Right-Sing-Blues/dp/B00004SKTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339249281&sr=8-1
1 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th June 2012, 15:11
hi Ari
You just caught me having liquid refreshment between mowing two lots of grass!
I had not heard that version. I'm always happy to hear new ones. Yeah, she's good, but....(oh dear, sorry) I have to say I prefer the 1958 recording by Ella Fitzgerald, which I have played over and over. My jazz drummer cousin in Frisco sends me a daily clip of his favourites and I have around 20 or more to catch up on. I must take time off from xwords to play them all before his next selection arrives. Thanks for the link.
JG
2 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th June 2012, 15:20
"The Intimate Ella" is my most worn-out non-classical recording. "Black Coffee"- aaah.
3 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th June 2012, 15:35
Oh Yesssss!!
This is a clip that he sent to me 24th May. We both had our own reasons to cry over this. Just love it.(Hope we aren't in trouble, Ari, over this musical interlude ;0)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0tzchp-AzM&feature=fvsr
4 of 31  -   Report This Post

andy from the 'well watp

9th June 2012, 15:39
As Bing Crosby said - "Man, woman or child - ELLA is the greatest!"
5 of 31  -   Report This Post

redcoral

9th June 2012, 15:50
I can't help smiling at the mix of jazz suggestions & lawn mowing. Its a wonder no one has tried to stop you! (I've read some of the remarks from a few rather sour contributers who tend to tick newcomers off!)
6 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th June 2012, 15:54
Nothing to do with crosswords, but...A snail has just hitched a ride on the mower....too lazy to make his own way, or maybe he just liked the vibrations...
7 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th June 2012, 15:55
Not to worry, jazzgirl. See? Other people appreciate it. Re Eileen, my mother and she went to the same high school in Rhode Island. Eileen appeared as (a rather large) Buttercup in the school production of H.M.S. Pinafore and my mother says the entire audience sat there with dropped jaws. I only saw her in person once (opera). Whoa.
8 of 31  -   Report This Post

trevor

9th June 2012, 15:56
if anyone, bar jazzgirl, complains, just tell them that they shouldn't have opened this thread in the 1st place. :)
9 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th June 2012, 16:01
I have been banished to the garden. Ari, I will definitelhy check out Eileen's opera clip later.....
10 of 31  -   Report This Post