CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tonyb

24th May 2012, 10:25
Think it's complete, but cannot rationalise cryptic elements of four clues.
31A Suddenly faint, about to live in America (8) U-A-A-E- Presumably UNAWARES. ie WAN reversed in US. But what has ARE got to do with 'about to live'?
49A Taking off skirt, essentially, it's part of procreation (9) I-I-A-I-G Presumably IMITATING. MATING is in there, leaving I-IT and 'skirt, essentially, it's' unaccounted for.
50D Uncovered surface that's arched a shade (5) A-B-R Presumably ARBOR, but why?
52D Country where open season's beginning with uprising (5) S-R-A Presumably SYRIA, but why?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

24th May 2012, 10:30
49A Taking off skirt, essentially, it's part of procreation (9) I-I-A-I-G Presumably IMITATING. MATING is in there, leaving I-IT and 'skirt, essentially, it's' unaccounted for.
I is the essence (heart) of skirt, and IT is inside (part of) MATING

52D Country where open season's beginning with uprising (5) S-R-A Presumably SYRIA, but why?
Open = AIRY, S = season's beginning, with uprising = reversed
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

rambler

24th May 2012, 10:34
U NAW ARE S?
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

rambler

24th May 2012, 10:37
Sorry, TonyB - I haven't added to your explanation. I think 'are' is accepted for being somewhere.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

24th May 2012, 10:44
I have AMBER for 50d (a shade or colour)
(C)amber
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

24th May 2012, 10:45
I think ARE is acceptable for 'live', but if it's being used for 'to live', that's a bit sloppy...
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

rambler

24th May 2012, 10:48
Yes it is, Bullfrog.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

tonyb

24th May 2012, 11:29
Thanks all.
Jazzgirl, of course it's CAMBER!
Bullfrog and Rambler, I could not agree more. I found several clues in the crossword rather sloppy - and did consider ARE for 'to live' but thought that was beyond the bounds of even "acceptable sloppiness"!
8 of 8  -   Report This Post