CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mackiesings

22nd May 2012, 14:14
Scratching my head over 2 clues today. 18a. Very volatile oil and oxygen burner (8) ?I?D?L?O

Also 2d. Singer who can't keep still to piano accompaniment (7,4)
W?L?I?G / ?A?S I assume first word is 'walking' but could well be wrong, any help much appreciated.
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

gareth

22nd May 2012, 14:18
I think the word is vindaloo
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

mamya

22nd May 2012, 14:18
walking bass
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

mamya

22nd May 2012, 14:19
Walking bass

A walking bass is a style of bass accompaniment or line, common in baroque music and jazz, which creates a feeling of regular quarter note movement, akin to the regular alteration of feet while walking.[2][3] Thus walking basslines generally consisting of unsyncopated notes of equal value, usually quarter notes (known in jazz as a "four feel"). Walking basslines use a mixture of scale tones, arpeggios, chromatic runs, and passing tones to outline the chord progression of a song or tune, often with a melodic shape that alternately rises and falls in pitch over several bars. To add variety to a walking bassline, bassists periodically interpolate various fills, such as playing scale or arpeggio fragments in swung eighth notes, plucking muted percussive grace notes (either one grace note or a "raked" sequence of two or three grace notes), or holding notes for two, three, or four beats. Some songs lend themselves to another type of variation: the pedal point, in which the bassist holds or repeats a single note (often the tonic or the dominant) under the chord changes.
Walking basslines are usually performed on the double bass or the electric bass, but they can also be performed using the low register of a piano, Hammond organ, tuba or other instruments. They can also be sung. While walking bass lines are most commonly associated with jazz and blues, they are also used in rock, rockabilly, ska, R&B, gospel, latin, country, and many other genres
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

mackiesings

22nd May 2012, 18:09
Thanks folks, nice full explanation of 'walking bass' and 'vindaloo' also correct. Actually fairly straightforward, v plus anagram of 'oil and o' - I should have seen that one.
5 of 5  -   Report This Post