CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rambler

26th April 2012, 17:11
I've had a look at this week's CLUE CHAIN and there still seems to be confusion about procedure. I've had another go at the intro which the next setter may use or ignore.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

rambler

26th April 2012, 17:12
Welcome to CLUE CHAIN - usually started each Monday around noon.

The idea is to start with a cryptic clue - set by me this week.

The first correct solver, judged by the setter, is then invited to offer their clue and so on.

The person who solves the first clue usually starts the next CLUE CHAIN - please confirm you will do this.

Once you have solved and then set a clue you cannot answer again for the time being - see below.

15 min time limit per clue and if not solved the setter must declare the clue 'open' and everybody can play again.

If an open clue is not solved quickly the setter should offer hints until someone can solve and continue.

Game usually closes around 6pm.

This week's opening clue is:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

francis

26th April 2012, 17:58
Thanks rambler.

I think the rule consistently ignored - as far as I can tell -appears in the 5th line. Up to the contestants whether to maintain this rule or amend it.

Glad you enjoyed Nice.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

rambler

26th April 2012, 18:07
Hi FRANCIS

Thanks for your interest. The rule about not being allowed to answer again until a clue is declared open was devised to prevent one or two players batting clues back and forth and others not getting a look-in. If most people want to abandon the rule that's fine.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

rossim

26th April 2012, 18:10
As a relative beginner, I feel I would not get a look-in. How about cutting the time down to 10, or even 5 minutes?
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

rambler

26th April 2012, 18:15
Hi Rossim

The time limit until recently was 30 mins. I think 15 mins is about right and if there is no response the setter can declare a clue open early if they choose.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

francis

26th April 2012, 18:22
15 minutes sounds right - I can see rossim's point.
I only recently joined in and may have been too keen !
MEA CULPA and apologies.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

rambler

26th April 2012, 18:27
Don't beat yourself up, FRANCIS, the point is to have fun.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post