CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

plodder

13th April 2012, 12:22
Finished, but need reassurance that 10a Nearly provoke fight (4) ?p?r corresponds with nickname for any player with Tottenham football club.?
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th April 2012, 12:27
Don't know anything about football, but if you read provoke as ignite, you will see the answer when you dock off the last letter. I don't think it is spur.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th April 2012, 12:30
Why not SPAR ?
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th April 2012, 12:33
That's right. Ignite = Spar(k) Fight = Spar.

P
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

plodder

13th April 2012, 12:47
Thank you both. SPUR can mean fight apparently but couldn't fit with clue. I don't know how long you both have been doing the RT but I can remember when it was an easy, bit of a joke as a crossword, full of anagrams and TV personalities, but it has clearly sharpened up now.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th April 2012, 13:19
Hi, plodder. I have been doing the RT for just over a year now. I find difficulty with some of the programmes we are expected to know. With such a wide variety of channels available, it is common for me never to have heard of the people whose names crop up in the answer. Julia Sawalha was this week's case in point. Is she famous? Does she have two heads? Does she smoke a pipe?

Best wishes.

P
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

molly

13th April 2012, 13:54
I've just managed to finish and have an answer for 22a which is the name for really nasty spots but cannot see where the rest of the clue fits at all......?
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

13th April 2012, 13:59
hi molly
If you look at the words "green card" you will see the word going "westward" hidden in the clue.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

molly

13th April 2012, 14:03
doh... thanks, I still miss some types of clue but I was looking at the answer backwards to see where that would get me - nowhere as it happened.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

plodder

13th April 2012, 17:16
Hi pipesmoker trust me the TV progs and personalities were much more prevalent in the past than now - which is why I stopped doing it - but coming back it does now seem more serious, but they still crop up. I suppose they assume readers of RT watch the telly quite a bit, which is reasonable.
best wishes
P
10 of 10  -   Report This Post