CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

11th April 2012, 11:54
Stuck on these last 5:any help VERY appreciated!
Try the article enclosed HA?S?R
Familiar address for American jumping bail inside foreign city B?S???O
Language is built up in regular stages S?L???
Upset for example about apparent failure to meet G????PE
Copy answer to school exercise ???PE
Should anyone find convincing solutions (with explanation) involving a change in one or two letters given, I would still be interested, as there are complications built into the puzzle too complicated to explain here!
Good luck!
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

gok wan acolytes

11th April 2012, 12:45
Try the article included could be Heather

THE in HEAR

What you do to the answer after that is down to whatever the theme suggests.....
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th April 2012, 13:12
Many thanks first of all, DDDD: there are undeed comedy double acts including a "Heather", but first, we have only 6 spaces available; second, if it were one of the double acts you have to enter the other one (!); and thirdly, there is a complication about "empty cells" & filling them with other letters in one corner of the grid which I haven't fathomed yet! Theme seems to be "OTHER HALF" & not "SOUTH POLE" or "TERRA NOVA" as I thought for some time! Sounds crazy & it is!
btw the CAM 64 was all about john Graham: if anyone's interested I might try to post it here, but have no experience of "uploading" if that's what it's called, and I'm still waiting at the moment for a scanned copy of grid & clues as I threw it away 3 months ago thinking it was just too difficult (and it probably is...)
Any ideas on the other 4 I posed?
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th April 2012, 13:33
This is certainly bewildering. Built up in stages would seem to be scaled, but can't see wordplay. Familiar American address could be Buffalo (not that we address each other that way, mind you, but I'm told that people do indeed live there), but ditto re wordplay- tried Bufo (toad), etc. Curious.
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th April 2012, 13:59
Yes, Aristo, you see ,this is real Cambridge standard, not your normal run-of-the-mill provincial stuff!
Joking apart,the L in the "language" one is definitely in the right place (from Am. press agent Flack, never heard of before, but "googlable").
As for Buffalo, I actually drove past there once on the way from Cleveland to Niagara Falls (think Dylan even once did a concert there on the Rolling Thunder tour, so a few fans MUST live there):it's not far from Hamburg, NYS (bought mug & T-shirt there for a lark) -- but that's not getting us anywhere, is it?
With Ros's help I've nearly finished, so don't give up yet!
And please read the corrections above of course!I'm beginning to wonder if the "address" is not BELUSHI:who was his partner? If I'm right, the clue applies to his partner, but I have to enter the OTHER HALF (=theme). Pretty perverted, what?
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th April 2012, 14:01
Dan Ackroyd (they were the Blues Brothers).
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th April 2012, 14:03
THE PROMISED CORRECTIONS (ending up below instead of above for Aristo...):
"Try the article" now reads HE?S?R -- this last R I'm not sure about, though!
and "Familiar address..." now reads B?L???? --please see my latest suspicion on my last posting for Aristo.
"Poland is not yet lost"' as the Germans say.....................gk
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th April 2012, 14:04
Sorry, DA doesn't fit anywhere here: probably my suspicion is totally misguided.
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th April 2012, 14:13
"Hansel is not yet lost," as the Germans say. But he and Gretel can't find their way into your puzzle, can they? Not since you dropped the E crumb.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th April 2012, 14:22
By the way, Bro is a familiar American address. Don't know if that helps.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » CAM 65