CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

10th April 2012, 11:07
Good morning! This week's offering MAY prove a bit more challenging (I always regret saying this, lol). Hope you enjoy.J.

I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT + 1) to allow others to have a go.

1. Lags carry drink there with a merry heart (6,2,3,4)
2. Sounded exactly like a bird? (4)
3. A first-class cracker’s minute, covered with jams (6)?
4. Dressing to see stop-go method of marching (5-4)
5. Articulated cover providing shelter for animals (4)
1 of 48  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th April 2012, 12:49
I got only one at first sight. Must tell you that I thought of you at Easter dinner. Do you think that's the point of pigging out (as we say over here) on that particular day- that it seems like a miracle to get up after it?
2 of 48  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th April 2012, 15:07
Is everyone off geocaching with tonyw? Perhaps he screwed up the code, collected the wrong treasure, and needed to be bailed out (so nice to have caring friends).
Only three definites here (I think!).
3 of 48  -   Report This Post

phillip

10th April 2012, 15:11
Is no 2 an Americanism, surely not.
4 of 48  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th April 2012, 15:20
Couldn't tell you. Have 1, 4, and 5. Slow day.
5 of 48  -   Report This Post

jolan

10th April 2012, 15:23
Hi Ari. Just taking a peep in and, yes Phillip. No. 2 does indeed contain a N American usage (or as the "Oxford" says, chiefly N American. I was going to indicate that in the clue but it would have made it very cumbersome. I have, MANY times, heard the N American version used here in Britain, in everyday conversation. I have RARELY heard the British version used thus. Perhaps I move in 'lower' circles. No apologies for the clue 'as is'.
6 of 48  -   Report This Post

phillip

10th April 2012, 15:30
Jolan, thin end of the wedge you know, sucking up to the colonies. We'll be invading Iraq or somewhere next.
7 of 48  -   Report This Post

jolan

10th April 2012, 15:31
LOL Phillip. I sure hope Ari is not offended!!!
8 of 48  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th April 2012, 15:35
I'm used to it, and you can be comfortably righteous, of course, never having invaded anyone. :)
9 of 48  -   Report This Post

phillip

10th April 2012, 15:41
Aristo, we've never invaded anyone. We've civilised people, brought peace and prosperity to them, enlightened their lives, allowed them to give us all their natural resources, etc.etc.
10 of 48  -   Report This Post