CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

8th April 2012, 20:51
Having a bit of trouble with the wordplay on these.
Any help appreciated thanks.

19D) Component of clothing worn by baker who's a card (7) S - B - N - -.
I'm going with SUBUNIT, being a component, but getting mixed up with clothing and card = suit, and can only see bun connection to baker which is tenuous.

27A) What's Tory's lad flying, with a queen visiting? (5,8) R - Y - L. - - - N - A - D
Again, I have an answer, ROYAL STANDARD, but the question mark is throwing me here because it looks like an anagram, but isn't.

The last letter of 19 Down corresponds with the second letter of the second word in 27 Across (Which seems to work well for both being 'T')

I think I may be missing something really simple here. Any explanations would be great.

Les40
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

8th April 2012, 20:56
I had both of those - not great clues, but passable! I thought of Mr Bun (the baker, Happy Families), with 'bun' inside 'suit'/clothing, giving subunit/component.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

ab

8th April 2012, 20:56
Mr Bun in the card game Happy Families is a baker?
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

8th April 2012, 20:59
Re the other one - Royal Standard is an anagram of 'tory lads'+'and'+ a r(a Queen).
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

les40

8th April 2012, 20:59
Oh wow, Thanks malone and AB, I love playing cards but have truly never heard of the game Happy Families. It just shows, if you don't know... you just don't know!
Any pointers with the Royal Standard?
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

chelle

8th April 2012, 21:00
is there the word and in the clue? - as there is tory lads in the anagram with ar for a queen.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

les40

8th April 2012, 21:03
Cheers malone,
So the word 'with' is substituted for 'and' which then and only then makes it an anagram. I'm not happy with that... and I bet Mr Bun would be livid!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

Les, sorry if my 'royal standard' explanation was rubbish!
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

brackendale

ROYAL STANDARD is an anagram of Tory's lad (ROYAL ST?????D). The bit in the middle is "with a queen" which is AND A R
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

les40

8th April 2012, 21:07
No, that's ok malone.
It makes more sense now that Brackendale has explained it with the visual aid of the clue wrote out like above.
I am now not unhappy with it. Mr Bun is ok too
10 of 10  -   Report This Post