CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

plodder

1st April 2012, 19:33
Sorry I am late starting - planting raspberries, blueberries and watering while I can. The answer to 5d would open up Xword for me. An ordinary girl, distant creature. (5-8)
second word, second letter A last letter G
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

chelle

1st April 2012, 19:36
penny farthing?
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

1st April 2012, 19:50
Yes Penny Farthing - an ordinary/bicyle

Penny - Girl
Far thing - remote
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

plodder

2nd April 2012, 09:56
Thank you both, am now left with just 15d 'Semi-Christian sect apt to leave Anabaptists confused.(8) ?s?b?a?s and 25a 'Mistresses take action to hold back desire'(8) S?E?N?Y?
Stepneys fits, will check dictionary. Any help appreciated.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

2nd April 2012, 09:57
Tsabians ..anabaptists less apt

Step ney s....yen< in Steps
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

plodder

2nd April 2012, 10:04
Thank you Tony thats a great help. Can I ask you if you complete a harder crossword than this one, this is really beyond my ability and I can't complete without some help, but can't resist the challenge.1
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

2nd April 2012, 10:11
Hi plodder

This was a bit of a 'toughie'.
Experience is everything ( i've been crosswording for over 65 years) and, if you do ask for help, then ensure you fully understand the logic behind the solutions. Always ask if you are unsure as fellow puzzlers are more than happy to help.
Keep at it and good luck.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

plodder

2nd April 2012, 10:16
Thanks for the comment Tony. I phrased my question badly I meant to say are there other crosswords harder than Saga and with your years of experience do you attempt them?
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

2nd April 2012, 10:26
I think that EV (Enigmatic Variations), Magpie,
Inquisitor & The Listener are generally more difficult, and from a personal viewpoint I concentrate on these and themed, bar grid puzzles.
Try the Spectator. There is a link to the puzzle on here every Thursday. It is a good middle range puzzle and a good introduction to grids other than the standard ones.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

plodder

2nd April 2012, 18:21
Thanks Tony that's in my diary for Thursday.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post