CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

19th March 2012, 04:21
Good morning.

Trust the weekend frenzy has died down.

Here's the next one. Bit of a challenge.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62858730/Harpers%202011-02%20puz.pdf

Please note that grid entries are not always real words.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

19th March 2012, 06:39
Thanks again, Syzygy: just the thing for a rainy Monday here, in case Mephisto is not enough!
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

19th March 2012, 16:30
................and after a long struggle together with Aristo we've just finished it: never seen one where the "words" actually entered are not real ones! I learn a bit each time, though: this time, for instance, "honchos"! So it's good for me!
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

syzygy

20th March 2012, 02:45
Glad you enjoyed it.

The use of non-real words is unusual, but if I remember correctly, the Guardian Genius did that last year.
"Honcho" is a US term, but in Chambers. It caused some discussion re a Spectator puzzle.

For future reference, watch for American spellings as well, like "..ize", & "ameba".

4 of 9  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th March 2012, 03:13
Thanks, Syzzie. Neat puzzle. Funny- I've always spelled it amoeba.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

syzygy

20th March 2012, 05:09
Me too.

But then there's "encyclopedia" or "encyclopaedia", etc.

And you have Phoenix, Arizona.
The Greek & Roman influences still survive in the English language.

But not to worry:
http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/15502/offset/926

6 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

20th March 2012, 10:31
Syzygy: I've seldom laughed so heartily as this morning, tho' I knew the rooms-service
one -- must have been one of the funniest pages on this forum (says a newcomer).Especially appreciated in a region where a crazy terrorist on a scooter is mowing down people at random and the general feeling of course is one of horror & mourning.Thank you for reminding us all of something we might have missed: I feel better already!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

syzygy

21st March 2012, 05:58
Hi GK.

I had no idea what you were referring to (no cable), but remembered you lived in the SW. Then checked the news on the web.

Mes condoléances pour ce tragique incident, M.
C'est complètement fou. )-:
J'espère que vous êtes en sécurité.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

21st March 2012, 06:29
Sorry about the mysterious background comments, Syzygy. As I type the police have surrounded a flat on the other side of Toulouse : the supposed terrorist is a 24-year-old Algerian Al Qaida activist whose motive was to avenge Palestinian children etc. We live good 30 miles away in the country towards the Pyrenees: not exactly in the line of fire, but we share the general feeling of shock. Hopefully no effect on Presidential Election in one month.The arousal of racist feeling here by right-wing & extreme right-wing politicians is undeniable.All I meant was that the humour you helped to spread came at a moment where we really needed it! Tomorrow back to Spectator to further divert my attention! Anyway the "Harper's" proved to be a good challenge for Aristo & me in co-operation! Nice to see your responses in French, too, though I myself am an "ex-pat" (though I hate that word as much as "Brit" -- I don't even know why exactly...).Keep up the good work! Do you live in Quebec? Montreal? If you feel free to answer, do so!
9 of 9  -   Report This Post