CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

blackscorpion

13th March 2012, 14:57

Please help me with a project, thanks.

1) EXP?NS?VE

Clue: Development of large areas of new land is liable to be an a) expansive b) expensive project.

2) O?E
Clue: Girlfriend is touched by boyfriend's gift, a book of poems, and asks him to read out loud her favourite a) ode b) one

3) ?an

Clue: Woman who hates to cook and has few utensils likes the fact that soup can be heated in simple a) pan b)can

4) Ke?s

Clue: New manager is completely stressed when she realizes the pub's ke?s have been stolen. a) kegs b) keys

5) ?atch

Clue: Home decorator is frustrated by wealthy client's difficult demand that she ? a piece of wallpaper, which has intricate design. a) match b) patch

6) I?is

Forced to rush, photographer is thrilled that she has still managed to get shot of unique-looking a) ibis b) iris

7) Sociologist points out how much of society has approved a conventional ?ode of behavior. a) code b) mode

8) Condemned murderer's thoughts frequently focus on matters relating to his a) grave
b) grace

Thanks to all who responds.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

13th March 2012, 15:36

No idea what this is about, but if it helps my answers are:
1) EXPENSIVE
2) ODE
3) Pan
4) Keys
5) match
6) Ibis
7 a) code
8) a) grave

2 of 8  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

13th March 2012, 15:48
Was just going to respond in exactly the same way as Mrs Trellis: if it helps, my answers would tend to be the same, though for many different reasons to do with the various situations indicated rather than/in addition to the vocabulary items given to choose from. Please let us know what kind of "project" this is! It sounds more like a badly constructed test in English as a Second or Foreign Language to me: in each case the other alternative could also be justified!
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

blackscorpion

13th March 2012, 18:12
Well, my local town newspaper has a weekly solve the puzzle contest. If no one wins, the amount for the following week increases. The prize is now $1200.00 So.. I'm getting some input from online. Thanks for your answers.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

13th March 2012, 19:42
Well I wish you luck blackscorpion, but I would guess that as each answer is equally valid you just have to be lucky in choosing the correct ones. Apart from no. 6 (ibis/iris, which I think are equal), I just went for what seemed the most obvious. No guarantees that that's what's required by the competition setter - but for $1200 it's worth a shot!
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

blackscorpion

13th March 2012, 20:47
I agree with you I can submit several entries if I buy more newspapers. There is a second part I will post soon as conundrum # 2. I do appreciate the help as I have vacation soon and I need some $$$ for travelling.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

phillip

13th March 2012, 20:56
goodluck blackscorpion. You will need more than 20,000 entries to cover the possibilities.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

syzygy

14th March 2012, 08:41
Just noticed this & I would disagree on some of the following.
See my logic re #2 puzzle, but it could just be totally arbitrary.

1A expansive - "large areas"
2A ode - "poems"
3B can - "soup"
4A kegs - "pub"
5B patch - "piece of wallpaper"
7B mode - "conventional" (Chambers)
8B grace - pardon (Chambers)

6 again appears to the breaker clue.
A ibis - "rush"(es) where you might find one.
B iris - "photographer" - part of a camera lens. My choice.

Who knows? If we had the solution to a previous winning entry & could see the logic, you might get better answers.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post