CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bernie

9th March 2012, 13:38
When I retired in June of last year, my morning routine was,
1. Buy morning paper.
2. Read the paper.
3. Do the quick crossword.
4. Attempt the cryptic crossword. (They had always been a mystery to me!)

Now, I go straight to the cryptic and don't do anything else until it is complete.

Anyone else like to share their routines?
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

andyc

9th March 2012, 14:35
Funnily enough my experience soundsvery similar to yours. I too retired (early thank God) in June. I used to get the paper at work but could only manage the quick one on the back. I'd glance at the cryptic crossword interested but not really getting many other than the obvious anagram.
Now I get up either go for my long walk (weather permitting) or take the recycling before picking up the paper. I usually have it for about 10:00 and don't go onto the forum until I've done it, or if I'm struggling.I can't believe that I still spend so much time on my laptop given that it was my avowed intent to not do so after finishing work. Nevertheless I'm enjoying myself.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

ninian

9th March 2012, 15:06
All right for you youngsters, some of us have take it steady.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

pastille

9th March 2012, 16:09
Straight answer Bernie is yes...

That why I only do two per week...and make them last, or I would get nothing done!
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

barrycat

9th March 2012, 16:13
That's how I know my husband is a gem. He lets me do the crosswords before he gets to read the paper and never complains. (Out loud)
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

wendy

9th March 2012, 19:23
Hi Bernie,

We're probably all just as addicted as you are.

Every morning, one of my husband's first "jobs" is to log on to the Guardian and the FT as we print 2 copies of each so that we can swap answers as we solve them. (Sad or what!) When it's Araucaria or Cinephile there are whoops of delight - when it's Bonxie or someone we find super-difficult he tends to be very quiet and whispers "oh siht, it's Bonxie today"!

Found it very difficult stirring the gravy while trying to do some of Les40's more devious clues - had to clean the stove afterwards!
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

wendy

9th March 2012, 19:25
Life is full of surprises - I though you were a bloke Barrycat!

(I wonder whether Aristo asnd Syzzy know the word "bloke"...?)
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th March 2012, 19:41
I already have several addictions, among which is family history (anyone need any help?) so I've weaned myself off killer sudoku. The only day I buy a paper is The Times on Saturday, I get home and do the Killer straight away. I've only been doing the Jumbo cryptic for about a year and without help on here I'd never finish it.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th March 2012, 19:56
I'm into genealogy too, like Rosalind. But I've now finished researching all sides of the family - (two sides back to 1500's) so much scandal on one particular line!!
I'm up with the lark, morning walk in the park and nature photography; I check in here at breakfast, coffee break, lunchtime and odd times. I only do the RT and Saturday Times . No time for any others.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th March 2012, 20:10
Scandal's all good! Well done, 2 lines back to the sixteenth century is excellent.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post