CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aux one

8th March 2012, 11:51
Hello there,
in your corner of the world, would one use the term ashcan or ashbin to describe the household device which contains hot leavings from the fireplace?

Many thanks,

Aux one
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th March 2012, 12:25
Hello, aux one. It's usually called an ash bucket. Ashcan (though I think it's fair to say that this term is falling out of use) generally means trash receptacle- a larger bin put out for collection. There was a group of early-twentieth-century painters called the Ashcan School, known (not surprisingly) for blunt realism.
If, in your novel, your hero is asking his American wife if she took out the ashbin, make sure she doesn't say something like "Oh! I should have done." I've often noticed this "mistake" in Brit novelists' rendering of American speech. The response to our British hero would always be simply "I should have."
Time to shovel out my woodstove!
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

aux one

9th March 2012, 11:36
Thank you very much.

The clue in question reads 2d. Refuse to be left here in America. (6)
I have a*h**n. Chambers makes no distinction between ashcan and ashbin, so I thought, I need to ask an American, and who better than a cruciverbalising American!

Chur,

Aux One.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th March 2012, 12:48
The problem is that we cruciverbalize with a zee. :)
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

aux one

11th March 2012, 01:55
A travesty.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

syzygy

11th March 2012, 05:43
In Canada we do it with a Zed.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th March 2012, 17:44
I know. That's why I spelled it out- to emphasiz(!)e the horror.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

syzygy

12th March 2012, 02:18
I guess it's all in the pronunciation, though that must be a very subtle difference.

I wonder if anyone knows how the change in spelling came about.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post