CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

7th March 2012, 00:34
Ok Everyone,

Below is the link to the solution to this month's "Joint Effort" MARCH 2012.
If you wish to carry on solving for a while, then don't open the link. If you cab't wait, then open it up.
Also on this new thread you can ask questions and request explanations of wordplay from the setters.
Hope this delivers some interesting debates.

Have fun!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57742443/Forum%20March%20JE%20with%20solution.pdf

I have tried a new format with this link page to fit the original crossword onto one page, lets see how it looks for future reference.

Les40
1 of 51  -   Report This Post

lionheart

7th March 2012, 00:39
Bravo Les! Now to discover just how stupid I really am...
2 of 51  -   Report This Post

les40

7th March 2012, 00:52
Your wish is granted my friend, did you realise that your name was split between 27a & 10d.
Also, I am making an apology to Greedy kite, who I tried to fit in the theme, but spent hours shuffling it around and just couldn't get it to fit without losing at least 3 other names. I obviously couldn't fit in all the names made up of letters,ie, djawhufc, jws, AJT1 and jamoza doesn't have a meaning, although I was impressed with getting AB in the anagram of the AMBLER at 47a, I even managed Rosalind and she ain't even setting, but again it was a God send for the make up of the anagram + takeaway clue.
Anyone who wants to question my clues, feel free to request explanations.
Also it would be nice to give some positive strokes to the setters of the best clues, to which in my own opinion, were plentiful.

What are your thoughts?
3 of 51  -   Report This Post

les40

7th March 2012, 01:00
Just looked at the new 'one page' format and it looks good on-screen, printed it off and the grid is far to small on the page.
The solution grid is fine though, just print off page two.
4 of 51  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th March 2012, 01:16
There was a lot of great clues, too many to mention all of them....but....17A was possibly my favourite and I thought the "devices" used at 48A and 21D were particularly crafty.
5 of 51  -   Report This Post

lionheart

7th March 2012, 01:33
It's come to something when you don't spot your own name!! I hadn't got either part lol...
I confess to being confused as to which of the 4-letter clues makes Paul and which Lion? I'm just not seeing it. The only other one of yours that still beats me is 39a.

A few more queries...

Wendy @ 23d, is there an anagram of curt in there? I'm not getting the first bit of the clue though.

AB @ 15d, I like 'half dance' for cha but the os bit has me flummoxed!

Both THEAMBLER and Ixion's clues for 35a and 44d have me beat. A window into your respective brains would be appreciated :)

Favourite clues are...
Les40 @ 34a (she must be delighted!)
Greedy Kite @ 38a (nicely done!)
Pastille @ 4d (short and sweet!)
jws @ 20d (Good to see the boss get a mention!)
Wendy @ 1d (Not a letter to spare...nice!)

Much harder than last month's I thought, largely down to the extra and themed words tying my brain in knots ;) Thoroughly enjoyed it!

6 of 51  -   Report This Post

lionheart

7th March 2012, 01:35
Ixion you're too kind! I mulled over 17a for what seemed like days but the light finally came on ;)
7 of 51  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th March 2012, 02:51
Lionheart...I think you'll like 44D when you get it, one of the many I've put a vg against.

35A only works with Groan as the first word
8 of 51  -   Report This Post

lionheart

7th March 2012, 03:47
aha...I see 35a now. Not heard of that reference before...nice!
I think I'll have to stare at 44d for a while longer! I get the definition but the cryptic bit I don't understand.
9 of 51  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th March 2012, 04:01
It's pretty straightforward, C de L, though Roman is nicely used as a bridge, referring primarily to what comes before it but also to what comes after. I really like this clue.
10 of 51  -   Report This Post