CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

plodder

4th March 2012, 13:33
I rarely finish the cryptic but am gradually getting there. Two seem a bit obscure,
4d REJECT VOTE AGAINST IMPUDENT TYPES OF A PRIMITIVE CULTURE.(8) S - R - P - A -.
16D. BIRDS IN CAPITAL CROSSING A RIVER (9)
C - R - C - L - S.
Any thoughts.?
1 of 25  -   Report This Post

brackendale

4th March 2012, 13:36
Impudent types are PERTS with vote NAY all reversed gives STREPYAN

When is AS, association is UNION with clubs (C) invested gives ASUNCION
2 of 25  -   Report This Post

brackendale

4th March 2012, 13:39
Yiu gave the wrong clue number for 14 Down.

It is CARACARAS

CARACAS is the capital across A R(iver)
3 of 25  -   Report This Post

mamya

4th March 2012, 13:39
Caracaras
4 of 25  -   Report This Post

plodder

4th March 2012, 13:43
Thanks Brackendale a few to go for a rare finish.
5 of 25  -   Report This Post

plodder

4th March 2012, 13:55
Thanks again Brackendale ( and Mamya) I apologise for putting wrong clue No. but didn't have Asuncion. At present I do the Times, Saga and Radio Times, very rarely the Guardian ( love Arucaria) and find Saga the hardest. Assume setters feel its readers have more time to cogitate.!
6 of 25  -   Report This Post

brackendale

4th March 2012, 14:00
I agree with you about the Saga crossword being quite hard and certainly harder than the others you listed. You could be right about Saga Magazine readers having more time but I suspect it's the compiler trying to be nastier than his peers.
7 of 25  -   Report This Post

tonyw

4th March 2012, 16:19
Saga is sometimes so obscure that you have to persevere for a long time.I am not finished yet.
8 of 25  -   Report This Post

bees

4th March 2012, 16:26
"two seem a bit obscure" is a masterly piece of understatement. This puzzle ia always a nightmare!
9 of 25  -   Report This Post

plodder

4th March 2012, 17:06
being new to this site or any other Xword contact it is a relief to hear your comments - I thought it was me being stupid. Thanks again for your help - amazingly I am 2 short of completing.
10 of 25  -   Report This Post