CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kiwikid

22nd February 2012, 09:55
In the interests of international relations, I've been doing the WP online puzzles - which are mostly straightforward, once I switched gears re the spelling issues! Thanks to Wikipedia I can usually manage clues about state emblems etc, but am really puzzled by one of today's gems. Can someone enlighten me please: why is the answer to the clue "Big foot" - "EEE"?
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

anybody

22nd February 2012, 09:59
I think EEE is the widest fitting
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd February 2012, 09:59
hi kiwikid
Shoe widths are coded as E (wide) EE (wider) and EEE (extra wide) ;)
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

gok wan acolytes

22nd February 2012, 10:01
From Wiki

Width designators

Some systems also include the width of a foot. There are different methods indicating the width:

The measured width is indicated in millimetres (mm). This is done with the Mondopoint system.
The measured width is assigned a letter (or combination of letters), which is taken from a table (indexed to length and width) or just assigned on an ad-hoc basis: Examples include (each starting with the narrowest width):
A, B, C, D, E, EE, EEE, EEEE, F, G (typical North American system)
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

kiwikid

22nd February 2012, 10:08
Thanks for the explanations - that of course makes sense. I was a little perturbed when I saw a row of e's appearing as a solution though - although the 'check' feature of the online puzzle assured me it was correct!

Thanks everyone.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

22nd February 2012, 13:39
And if the clue was Big Foot, it was intended to throw you off and lead you to think of another name for an American mythical creature that many claim to have seen- a sort of big hairy linebacker, also called Yeti. Perhaps it's known as Hal or something too, to people on intimate terms with it.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

22nd February 2012, 13:41
Just occurred to me- it's usually one word: Bigfoot, aka Sasquatch (a stage name, no doubt).
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

22nd February 2012, 13:54
To be honest, aristo, I don't think Bigfoot would have been welcome on board a stage whatever he called himself...
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

22nd February 2012, 14:05
No past tense here; he's still around. I've often wondered about Elvis and him.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

syzygy

23rd February 2012, 06:53
You got it, but it's a Canuck, & has a fishercat as a pet.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post