CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lionheart

16th February 2012, 22:07
Hi folks, I'm compiling a crossie for a friend and have come up with a tricky clue but I think I may be breaking the rules. Is it fair to use the indicator 'half' to mean any four letters from an 8 letter word or do the letters have to be in sequence?

eg ...half FUTurisT...

What do y'all think?
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

les40

16th February 2012, 22:09
I think that's ok lionheart, you could go the other way by saying 'Discard half of....'
to mean throw half the amount away
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

les40

16th February 2012, 22:11
Maybe extend the clue to 'use half amount' or 'use some of'
'use part' would work
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

lionheart

16th February 2012, 22:21
Thanks Les, I'm starting to think the clue is far too hard anyway ;)
The answer is MOZART and the clue is...

He wrote in cockney because he ain't half futurist. Mental!

(in cockney because he) COSI + AIN'T & FUTT (anag)= Cosi Fan Tutti

Have I finally lost it?!
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

lionheart

16th February 2012, 22:39
Looks like I'm back to the drawing board anyway because I've spelled TUTTE with an I on the end....d'oh!
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

les40

16th February 2012, 23:04
So let me get this straight Lionheart, The answer is MOZART but the clue for it is the opera Cosi fan tutte
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

les40

16th February 2012, 23:08
And is 'because' not shortened to 'cus' and I would say it isn't predominantly cockney because it is used all over
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th February 2012, 23:43
I would say it isn't playing fair to use only some letters of a word as part of an anagram- even if the half consisted of the first or last four consecutive letters. We've discussed the propriety of using an implied word as an anagram, and though I don't think we reached a consensus I for one feel that it's not acceptable- even if it's very simple, something like "Confused canine idol (3)".
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th February 2012, 23:50
Oh, and regarding what Les asked about, I don't think the solver should have to deduce the CLUE (or even part of it) from an anagram.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

les40

17th February 2012, 00:01
I was a little confused with the whole thing really, maybe Lionheart has gone Bonkers
10 of 16  -   Report This Post