CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

margaret

8th February 2012, 17:28
Stuck on last 3 of 50 answers. No letters or number of letters. can be people, events or culture.
Hamilton & Chaplin ..............

Victory Announcer................

Imperial breezy blitz.............
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th February 2012, 17:41
1st appears to be Charles, tho' I didn't know Hamilton,either.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th February 2012, 17:56
2nd might just be "Odyssey", name of marine exploration company that now has the rights to salvage Nelson's ship (are the solutions supposed to refer to s'thing topical?)
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

torquemada

8th February 2012, 18:13
I'd have guessed that the answer to the second one is Alvar Liddell, BBC news announcer in the second world war. I don't knowe that he read the news on VE day, but it would be a decent punt.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

margaret

8th February 2012, 18:16
No idea what they are. I've thought of all the Charles e.g. Ray Charles but cant get the Hamilton connection. Can't think of a bomb for blitz and the Victory announcer could be some one off the TV or Radio. The other clues are not very difficult so must be thinking too much.
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

margaret

8th February 2012, 18:17
Was Alvar Liddell on the tele or radio in the 50's?
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

anybody

8th February 2012, 18:19
The third one may be 'firestorm'. The 'imperial' bit may refer to Japan.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

torquemada

8th February 2012, 18:39
Liddell moved to the Third Programme after the war, but if the quiz is just about the 1950s it isn't likely to be a VE Day announcement.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th February 2012, 18:46
Margaret: there are 2 famous Ch. Hamiltons, a 19th Century naturalist etc & a young U.S. rapper, both googlable, to coin a phrase!
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

phillip

8th February 2012, 19:30
torquemada said "Liddell moved to the Third Programme after the war, but if the quiz is just about the 1950s it isn't likely to be a VE Day announcement".

I don't think "isn't likely" quite does it. Mind you, if you watch your news on "Dave" (sky 111) I suppose it might be right.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post