CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

joan

7th February 2012, 17:28
I've decided to call you, rather than wait for you to get in touch. I'd like your help anyway. I'm reading a book which is set in America in the 1960s. One character is fat - 'probably due to the divinity she ate before bed every night.' What is 'divinity'? Hope you can help, as I'm just a curious person (in more ways than one.)
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2012, 17:42
Here's a recipe. I usually think of it as being chocolate. What's the likelihood that it only takes five minutes?
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/divinity-vanilla-chocolate-cinnamon-or-cherry/
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

joan

7th February 2012, 18:50
Thanks, aristo - my baking skills are non-existent, but at least you've satisfied my curiosity!
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2012, 18:57
At least now you know she wasn't stuffing herself with communion wafers.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

7th February 2012, 19:15
Sounds divine, like meringues but not baked. Unfortunately I don't think corn syrup is readily available here or maybe fortunately!
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2012, 19:17
Perhaps you call it maize syrup. :)
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

7th February 2012, 19:30
Sorry but don't know what that is either and I do bake. We have golden syrup (partially inverted refiners' syrup) or liquid glucose. Can't think of anything else. What colour is this stuff please? This is where curiosity/nosiness gets me.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

pastille

7th February 2012, 19:40
hi teenieleek...

I think you are right liquid glucose...or glucose syrup as those damn yanks call it!

Only kidding Mr A.....

Btw teenieleek...I have always wanted to know.

Are you a small Welsh Lady?

Or

A Scottish bed-wetter?

LOL p@

8 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2012, 19:47
It's just glucose syrup made with maize. There's light, which is clear, and dark, which is brown, rather like maple syrup. I did find this:
http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/homemade-corn-syrup-substitute-simple-syrup-74080

You could always try it, though you no doubt have glucose syrup with a more poetic name. They do look like meringues, and I wouldn't advise eating a lot of them just before beddie-bye, unless you have double doors throughout your house.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

7th February 2012, 19:57
Pastille, and I thought you were Scottish!It's a weel kent diminutive of Christine or just a general term of endearment for a female child. Actually I just made all that up, in fact it's what my dad used to call me but my definition sounds like it might be true don't you think?
10 of 12  -   Report This Post