CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

diana

23rd August 2009, 20:05
1a Dog food,double portion (4,4)
Is that chow chow ?? and why ?

Please help, brain malfunction.
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd August 2009, 20:09
There is a breed of dog called "Chow Chow".
chow on its own is slang for food.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

diana

23rd August 2009, 20:14
Thanks clever Trevor, Have never heard of "chow" as a slang for food ! Could come up with some ideas though.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

23rd August 2009, 20:23
Then you must be too young to have ever seen "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" on television!
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

diana

23rd August 2009, 20:37
Hi John, actually I turned 30, 17 yesterday.(a more flattering form of 47 ) I do remember It Ain't Half Hot. Don Estell and Windsor Davis ! AND they had a hit with Whispering Grass. Still do not get the chow bit. Maybe a really posh person trying to say chew ?
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

23rd August 2009, 20:54
The origin of the slang word chow is thought to date back to the 1800s when many Chinese went to America to become trail cooks and brought the Chinese phrase "Chow chow", meaning a mixture of foods, with them. It was widely used in the war mainly as an American import.

HTH
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

23rd August 2009, 20:55
Oh and happy birthday for yesterday. There's a lot of it about at the moment.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

diana

23rd August 2009, 20:59
Hi John, very impressed ! HTH ?
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd August 2009, 21:08
I think I remember reading (can\'t find it now) that Chow Chow - breed of dog - in chinese mean\'t a mixture of (like Mongrel in English).
Sailors at the time (I don\'t remember when), would call any food that they couldn\'t recognise, Chow, along with the belief that Chinese liked dog meat.

It is one of those words that I\'ve grown up with but never thought about.

ps. Happy belated Birthday Diana.x
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

diana

23rd August 2009, 21:17
Thank you John and Trevor. Two days of cheers have fuzzed my brain. Have not even started the Sunday Times one, so no doubt will be picking your brains tomorrow. Will now probably have sweet dreams of Don Estell in his shorts !
10 of 14  -   Report This Post