CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

1st February 2012, 00:05
Hello everyone,

It's time to start the preparations for this months "Joint Effort" and for anyone who doesn't know what this is, it's a completed crossword grid with no clues. You, the posters are invited to compile clues for the grid by sending me a contact email address to which I send you back the words needing clues to be set (Number of words sent out per person depends on amount of interest). Then via email feedback, we decide the best way to compose and deliver the clues (seperately with each clue setter). When this is done, which takes a few days, I then format the final print and publish it on here for all to have a go. Each setter only knows their own clue answers and each setter is given a "Coded letter" to identify with their own clues so people know who has set which clues.
If for security reasons you do not wish to send your personal email address to me, that's no problem, just go onto Yahoo or Google and make a new address for this purpose (some of the others have already done this last month).
This month's grid has 50 words. Wendy will be glad to hear it hasn't any 3 or 4 letter words.
I have invited Syzygy to propose his new method of explaining clue wordplay and make up of solutions. So look out for his post on this thread (you may have seen him practising on the threads).

NB: I already have email addresses for the following people and they just need to let me know if they're in for this month's grid on this thread.

1.Syzygy 2. djawhufc. 3. Wendy. 4. Pastille. 5. peterm. 6. Bullfrog. 7. aristophanes. 8. jws. 9. Paul. 10. Greedy kite.
1 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st February 2012, 00:16
Oh yes.
2 of 39  -   Report This Post

les40

1st February 2012, 00:18
My email is: les40forumjointeffort@yahoo.co.uk
3 of 39  -   Report This Post

les40

1st February 2012, 00:22
I also forgot to add that I will be keeping an eye out for the UK/US anomaly, and will add in each email whether the clue is DOWN or ACROSS
4 of 39  -   Report This Post

lionheart

1st February 2012, 01:07
Sounds like fun....count me in :)

lionheartcryptic@yahoo.co.uk
5 of 39  -   Report This Post

pastille

1st February 2012, 01:35
Woo-Bloody-Woo!

Loving it!

x
6 of 39  -   Report This Post

syzygy

1st February 2012, 05:48
To make it easier for Les, & us, to understand our clue wordplay,
I borrowed the following from this blog:

http://times-xwd-times.livejournal.com/779492.html
The protocol is clear & concise.

Sunday “Times for the Times” conventions:

cd = cryptic definition

dd = double definition

rev = reversal

homophones in quotes
e.g.: "bear" or "bare"

anagrams as (---)*
In parentheses with an asterisk.

removals like this

I changed the "strike-through" to "underline"
because it's clearer to read, & easier to do in e-mails & this site.

See the above site for examples.

This is not a requirement, just a suggestion.
If it works for you, copy & paste this into a Wordpad document for handy reference.

Let the games begin!

7 of 39  -   Report This Post

les40

1st February 2012, 08:26
Cheers Syzzie,

Nice to see you on board Lionheart, also on board from received emails are AB & ixion.
Just off to work, back tonight

Les40
8 of 39  -   Report This Post

wendy

1st February 2012, 08:54
I'm in!
9 of 39  -   Report This Post

syzygy

1st February 2012, 08:58
Les.
Thanks for adding the DOWN or ACROSS info.
That will be very helpful for clues with reversals.

10 of 39  -   Report This Post