CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kiwikid

24th January 2012, 23:05
I was given a copy of Don Manley's 'Chambers crossword manual' for Christmas, and I'm having a go at the sample puzzles. Could someone please explain the wordplay in the following examples - this puzzle was set by Duck, if that helps!

See thin fragment of food being obtained beside a street - this sort of food? (7,8) = CHINESE TAKEAWAY
'a street' must be 'a way', but where is the thin fragment?

Sign of future developments in London street appearing round top half of window, ghastly white (5,2,3,4) = STRAW IN THE WIND
I *think* I can see the elements in this, but where would you start with a clue like this?

Rousing a fellow in a side-section of the building (9) - AWAKENING
The 'n' appears to belong to two sections of the clue - is this common?

Thanks for your anticipated words of wisdom!

KK

1 of 11  -   Report This Post

ixion

24th January 2012, 23:10
See thin fragment of food being obtained beside a street - this sort of food? (7,8) = C(HINESE T)AKE-A-WAY

2 of 11  -   Report This Post

kiwikid

24th January 2012, 23:21
Thanks, Ixion!
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

chelle

24th January 2012, 23:25
Sign of future developments in London street appearing round top half of window, ghastly white (5,2,3,4) = STRAW IN THE WIND

awakening = a ken (a fellow)inside a wing (side section of building. Does this explain the 'n'?
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

chelle

24th January 2012, 23:28
oops ignore the top bit of prevbious post - posted before i was ready!

straw in the wind - I'd start by looking where 'win' could be placed (top half of window) and then 'ghastly' could indicate an anagram. The I's consider London streets that may fit.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

kiwikid

24th January 2012, 23:33
Thanks Chelle - I was thinking 'awning' instead of 'a wing'!
The other clue makes more sense, but these long involved clues are daunting...

KK
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

chelle

24th January 2012, 23:42
No argument there :)
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

chelle

24th January 2012, 23:42
Very satisfying when you crack them though :))
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

ab

25th January 2012, 13:35
Sign of future developments in London street appearing round top half of window, ghastly white

Could it be Strand (London street) + win (top half of window) + white (anagram) giving- Stra (win) (the wi) nd?
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

kiwikid

25th January 2012, 19:48
Thanks AB - you are right of course. I'm still new to the cryptic scene and while I can manage the easy ones like Lovatts, and the local daily (usually!), these longer clues have me tearing my hair out. Really appreciate all the help from the Forum :)

KK
10 of 11  -   Report This Post