CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

perplexed puzzler

16th January 2012, 17:39
Answers are flowers or rivers. The flowers may be in other places, not just Scotland.
15) He'd get no second attempt - centre forward plays round two (5,9).
10) Early to flower, slow to fruit say (10)
38) Famously crossed after driving off at last (7,4)
Stuck on several of these. No one else seems to be doing it and it's due in end of Jan.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

lady bee

16th January 2012, 18:03
I'm also doing this quiz but finding it very hard - stuck on loads but I can help you with 15. First there is an anagram of He'd get but taking into account 'no second attempt', you have to leave out the second letter of attempt.Centre forward, so the middle letter of that plus round two to make anagram of second word.

Any hints please for 17. Organ to scrutinise and check (6.5)

and 27. Large Western Isle, a German one (5.7)
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

perplexed puzzler

16th January 2012, 20:33
Thanks for help on that. 17) An organ of your lower torso (you have two). Second word, another word for check, also a job dealing with animals followed by an abbreviation for check.
27) I have two possible words for the first word, meaning 'large'. Second word is a 4 letter Scottish Island followed by the German for one.
Do you have 9) or 30)? I'm finding it hard going too
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

phillip

16th January 2012, 20:48
38. Swilcan Burn? a famous water hazard on the fairway of the eighteenth hole on the old course at st andrews.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

phillip

16th January 2012, 20:57
the other one...early to flower slow to fruit say. is probably .. blackthorn.

blackthorn flower in march and april and the leaves appear only in late april. the fruit - sloe berries - (sounds like/say slow) ripen in september/october.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

ninian

16th January 2012, 21:02

27.Great Mullein?
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

lady bee

16th January 2012, 21:08
Thanks for 17 - so easy when you get a nudge.
27. I'll have to think about a bit more.

Sorry haven't got 9 or 30. I think both of them use alternate letters tho' with 9. there are so many options. With 30, if you start with Rowers and do alternate letters, you can get to berry but then it's wert or trew. Still a work in progress but probably barking up the wrong tree.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

lady bee

16th January 2012, 21:12
Thank you Ninian for that answer.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

ninian

16th January 2012, 21:28
Perplexed.If I've followed your reasoning, could 17 be Kidney Vetch?
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

perplexed puzzler

16th January 2012, 23:26
Ninian I have put Kidney Vetch and also Great Mullein but I think I saw Giant Mullein somewhere so could be either.. Thanks for other suggestions everyone.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post