CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

16th January 2012, 16:22
Is it perchance an unwritten law here that no-one in his right mind even attempts a "normal" Listener puzzle, or if so certainly won't compare notes on it? After managing the relatively easy one before last (with help, of course) I boldly attempted the new one,achieving all of 10 answers alone for the first time ever, only to discover on that OTHER forum there is endless general discussion but no direct assistance whatever,let alone clue to the resultant quotation + source (the "misprints" in no less than 46 clues lead to all this if you're lucky).Seems a shame to abandon without at least probing the Masterminds here. I'm used to relatively difficult cryptics with exotic solutions, but this is probably my limit,right?
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

16th January 2012, 16:24
...and I've just noticed you need the prize,Chambers 2011,to solve it anyway! What a laugh!
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

16th January 2012, 23:49
After 7 hours of waiting I take the complete silence as confirmation that the monster is best left asleep!
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

turast

17th January 2012, 14:46
It's like moving from Everyman to Times Cryptic to Mephisto & Azed, you just have to keep plugging away. I can offer help if you will publish your e-mail, but no solutions or even guidelines to individual clues will be put on line while the puzzle is "live". This is a good thing. Some solvers communicate, but not by publishing solutions etc on-line. Spend some time checking clues you've kept against solutions.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

17th January 2012, 15:39
Many thanks,Turast, but I don't think I'll "publish" my address:probably better by all accounts not to struggle on in my case. Must say,though, I've only ever once seen a puzzle more difficult than this, and that was in an internal university magazine (not allowed to say which).
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

17th January 2012, 15:53
greedy: Why is it pronounced with a long A when the river has a short one? We have an outpost of the town over here, but its river is the Charles (which flows through my town), and there are bridges over it there. What's up with that, do you think? I suppose the wrong A sound makes a heck of a lot more sense than the wrong river.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

17th January 2012, 20:47
aristo: sorry you had to wait so long for a response.then it took me some time what you were asking about (i've repressed the subject so successfully).There's a long & interesting discussion with no real conclusion (just like a German teachers' conference)at
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=161513
if you're really interested. And while we're at it: how are Cessna & Capote as in Truman pronounced properly where you hide out?I've always heard 2 different pronunciations for each & never knew which to use myself (not even when teaching In Cold Blood --- I mean that of course in inverted commas...).And right opposite me here in Gascony lives a very old farmer (one of 2 brothers)who looks like the spitting image (you know where that exp. comes from, I assume?)of the above-mentioned author --- but that's really going too far, I suppose...
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

17th January 2012, 20:48
...sorry, I left "to realize" out of the 1st line.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

17th January 2012, 21:18
That's a riot; honestly, the things that gnaw at us. Cessna is pronounced SESS-nuh, Capote is ca-POTIE (sorry, don't know how to do standard pronunciation thingies here), though it usually comes out sounding like Capodie. What a strange person he was; I remember his many TV interviews when I was growing up. And how remarkable it is that he spent his childhood in the same tiny Alabama town as Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird (they were friends, and it's been suggested that he "helped" her unduly with her only published novel, which seems to me highly unlikely).
I see that the pronunciation of Worcester is discussed too. The one here is the second-largest city in New England, and natives pronounce it Wista.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

17th January 2012, 23:37
Many thanx, aristo! It reminds me of an old American lady tourist in my home town of Chichester in West Sussex who just couldn't manage anything better than Sississi or Chichichi.Surprising foreigners ever reach places like Slough or Reading (quite large places)without knowing they're pronounced quite differently from the way you might expect ( the "ough" combination has at least 7 possible ways of being pronounced anyway).Lots of people in Europe insist on saying "Chessna".Anyway,good we have a transatlantic partner to talk to here!
10 of 10  -   Report This Post