CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

6th January 2012, 12:52
Isn't electricity wonderful? Having just spent 60 hours without the stuff, I marvel at its versitility.

'way back when natural gas was getting underway, someone, somewhere decided we didn't matter, so they wouldn't pipe any gas into Millport. It would have been useful to have the option of a gas cooker during the very recent electricity failure.

As it was, I had a wee camping stove and a rechargeable lamp, each of which kept us from, respectively dying of thirst for the want of a cup of coffee, and falling over in the dark. Neither, however, provided much heat. It was good this morning to rise to a warm house, and to be able to make coffee and toast at the same time.

Please forgive the moans. I hope you all got through the past few days without similar incident.

Best wishes.

P
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

6th January 2012, 13:01
Hi Pipesmoker
Glad to hear you're back in circulation - and with circulation. If you go onto the Macmillan Quiz site post no. 56 you'll see I was thinking about you! We had a lucky escape up here this time. Off to buy a camping stove.
Cheers
Julie
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th January 2012, 13:06
Sounds tough Pipesmoker...as least they've piped in the internet - I'm an occasional visitor to Great Cumbrae, was devastated when they shut down(long time ago now) the Cumbrae Club!
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

6th January 2012, 13:58
dear pipesmoker
What a horrible time you have had.
But welcome back from the frozen north and hope you and Mrs P are now as warm as toast.
J
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

rosalind

6th January 2012, 15:48
That is a long time with no electricity, Pipesmoker. Hope you have a log fire.
Millport is still a scene of great discomfort to me. As zoology students in the 60s we were supposed to know something about real, live animals so were packed off to Millport for 2 weeks at Easter. Easter, I ask you! Doubt I've ever been so cold as on the beach, recording absolutely zero, in a rainstorm. The meals at our digs were revolting, and "nice girls" didn't go to pubs in Scotland then, even if I could have afforded it.
Bet it's lovely in summer, though
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

6th January 2012, 17:25
Thanks for your sympathy folks. I am wallowing in it.

Ixion, the Cumbrae Club is alas, no more. It is now a recently built block of flats, most of which remain unsold. Dennis Kelly, who used to own it, died toward the end of 2010. He was a very quiet man, but his wife, Maria, always managed to fill the gap.

Rosalind, you have my sympathy. I often watch the poor students digging away on the beach, while the person sitting comfortably in the minibus, is invariably the lecturer. I don't know if the quality of the accommodation has improved, but some of the places to stay are of the sort where you wipe your feet as you leave.

Hope you are all surviving the winter. Our house has been restored to its customary level of warmth.

Best wishes.

P
6 of 6  -   Report This Post