CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastille

4th January 2012, 22:58
Hi Paul,

Well done with the new comp. All "in house" nonsense is most wellycome, by me anyway.

Started this thread as I was a bit confused how it works re "voting", and thought it could be discussed out with the main thread.

Hope you don't mind.

I also hope it does not take away from the original "CLUELESS...(the one and only"), which recently I think some people have taken much too seriously.

I love democracy... but sometimes you can't rule by committee.

Hope I am wrong...p@ x

1 of 49  -   Report This Post

kilowatt

5th January 2012, 09:08
So true Pastille. It is said that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.
2 of 49  -   Report This Post

paul

5th January 2012, 10:15
Hi Pasty;

It's one contestant one vote; you must post a clue to vote though (hence Peer Review...)
3 of 49  -   Report This Post

pastille

5th January 2012, 10:35
Good morning...

Yes, I get the "peer review", still wonder how and when contributors vote.

I'm sure it will all become clear.

Off to check the plot shed again!
4 of 49  -   Report This Post

paul

5th January 2012, 10:38
As it stands voting can be at any time, so the earlier the clue is set the more chance of a vote; we could set a start time for voting on Friday if it becomes unworkable...

Views please!
5 of 49  -   Report This Post

wendy

5th January 2012, 10:46
Not sure that the earlier we post the more likely we are to get a vote. I am hedging my bets to see whether anyone posts anything better than the one I've already earmarked.

Perhaps we could vote at anytime but no later than a certain time on Friday....?
6 of 49  -   Report This Post

phillip

5th January 2012, 11:23
it's not very democratic to vote before all the candidates are known is it. surely there will be closing time (for entries) and then, and only then can voting start. equally there will have to be a closing time for voting after which someone (presumably the setter will declare the winner). if people make more than one entry voting will start to get messy- after all the vote is for a particular clue,not specifically the setter. or is it?
personally I think this will prove that democracy is sometimes a crock of s**t and that a benign dictator is often called for.
7 of 49  -   Report This Post

torquemada

5th January 2012, 11:31
This is supposed to be a one day event, yet it will actually be spread over three, which is a bit tedious.

Are people who submit two clues given two votes? I'd limit entries to one each.

How do votes get recorded? Public voting would mean that waiting until last and casting a tactical vote might appear advantageous, unfortunately.

Persoanlly, I'd favour a system of points: everyone nominates their best three clues, giving, say, 5 to the winner, 3 points to 2nd and 1 point to 3rd.

What happens if someone doesn't vote? I'd say their clue should be disqualified as it gives them an unfair advantage.
8 of 49  -   Report This Post

torquemada

5th January 2012, 11:39
We aren't helped by the terrible engine used by this website which doesn't allow personal messages, rating of posts or quoting of other users.
9 of 49  -   Report This Post

rosalind

5th January 2012, 11:45
Sounds fun to me and if the rules don't work they can always be altered next time, I guess.
I'm hopeless at clue writing but I admire one of the entries so much I'm thinking of entering one just to be able to vote.......
Well, it is awfully cold outside
10 of 49  -   Report This Post